icy dock MB662UEAB-2S 3.5(raid enclosure) users?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnsy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. johnsy macrumors 6502

Does anyone has Icy Dock MB662UEAB-2S 3.5 enclosure? I am debating to get either Icy Dock or Newertech Guardian Maximus. NGM is cheaper, but offers less RAID options and it is harder to take out disks.

Icy Dock has no reviews on newegg and is more expensive.

Does anyone uses here ANY Ice Dock enclosure? Are they good?

2. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

I own that one. Haven't used it much that yet, but so far it's great. Very well built, it's a mix of aluminum and steel. The drives pop in and out easily, the mechanism is well built and not glitchy. Transfer speeds seem very fast with 2x 1TB WD drives set to striped RAID. And an adjustable fan.

You could get cheaper ones, but the Icy Dock is very well designed. No-brainer to setup. If you just need an enclosure and don't care about the design, there's a StarMax USB 2.0 SATA enclosure. Black, has a pleather handle on it. Hehe. But it's cheap.

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Are you after RAID specifically? only want 1 enclosure for 2 drives?

We really need more info... The Icy's are all nice, but a bit "expensive." Try the Galaxy ones too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cription=galaxy gear&name=External Enclosures

Just know, FW800 is nice but for RAID you want ESATA. My single esata 1.5TB drive does 100MB/s to its esata counterpart, and about 75MB/s to the internall 7200 I have (internally limited).

4. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like RAID option. Preferably hardware RAID. I feel paranoid these days when my music, photo and video files take most of space and RAID seems the best thing.

Esata... Yah, that would work too with macbook pro I have, but imac unfortunately doesn't have esata port. Also I would like enclosure with at least usb port too because once in a while I might connect to something else than firewire. Quad connection would be ideal, but so far I have no use for it and in a future would we still be using 1TB drives? Even now 2TB drives are on a market, so currently sold enclosure might not support future drives?

Galaxy METAL GEAR 3500MGB-RAID has a lot of negative reviews about how power supply or enclosure itself dies. 4 bay RAID enclosure seems good deal, but it has no review either.

5. qwik3r macrumors newbie

did you ever pick one out?

6. Jottle macrumors 6502

Can anyone comment on the noise the fan makes? I like having my workspace as quiet as possible? How quiet is the fan on the lowest setting?

7. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Can anyone who owns this comment on the fan noise and how quiet the unit is? Thanks.

8. Heavenly macrumors member

Heavenly

If you're limited to Firewire/USB, you should save the money and get single drive enclosure instead of spending a lot more on RAID0(1 is fine if you want the backup security) because you won't get as much of a speed difference from FW as much as you would if it was connected through eSATA :)

9. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I have a bunch of eSATA+USB drives (single and dual-RAID) and agree with you re: eSATA speed. Saldy I've moved from a G4 desktop to Mac Mini and no longer have any way to use the eSATA, so it's either stick with the painfully-slow USB, or buy a new FW800 enclosure. I would be using it in RAID-1 config anyway... but you make a valid point regarding no benefit of RAID-0 on FW800. Heck, even my MacBook Pro's 500GB/7200rpm 2.5" drive can max-out a FW800 connection.....
    PS - I wanted to use the SpyderHub to connect my eSATA drives, but it seems it will only work with a "direct connect" eSATA enclosure - i.e. not any eSATA+USB, or eSATA+USB+FW ones. Shame.

10. icfantv macrumors newbie

As it's adjustable, you can get it REALLY quiet - just know that because the aluminum casing is designed to help absorb and dissipate heat, a lower fan setting *may* cause your drives to get hotter than you would like. That said, I don't have mine on full bore, rather I have them turned down fairly low and have not yet had a problem (I've had 2 units for about a year now).

-a

11. icfantv macrumors newbie

as pointed out by this link, there aren't any eSata ports on a mac - you could use an adapter, but it would be a bottleneck.

additionally, eSata is not chainable like USB and FireWire - which is probably why Apple doesn't support it.

I'm using FireWire 800 with my units and it's PLENTY fast for me.

12. nemrod macrumors member

nemrod

Hi folks,

What about the noise of this two disk enclosure , Is it ok for a HTPC ?

I don't knoww lost of things on RAID, i just just want to get 2x1,5 To, is there any limitation ?

Thanks