Icy Installer Is Back

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iChromeX, Dec 23, 2010.

1. iChromeX macrumors newbie

Hello all -
    Just here to report Icy Installer.
    Remember, back in the 2.x-3.x days, that alternative installer Icy? It was included in some versions of blackra1n and was very popular. However, when the creators, RiPdev, shut down, it was closed, and the projects source code was released. Well eventually Maximus picked it up, and through a long series of events WeAmDev ended up rereleasing the project. It is available from the repo apt.robinofree.com
    For those who didn't ever see it, Icy was a lightweight DPKG installer; an alternative to Cydia.
    So go ahead and download it! Leave feedback/responses here, email weamdev@gmail.com, or tweet @WeAmDev.

2. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

Is there any real benefit to installing icy other than it's faster than cydia?

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Yuck. I was glad when ripdev shut down and abandoned those junk programs of theirs. I am not happy to see one more program like this come back to further confuse everyone and I'm sure be incompatible with accepted standards, which will just further fragment the community.

I'd rather see programmers create something new, instead of just duplicating existing programs.

4. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

It's not duplication, it's competition. Competition benefits the consumer.

5. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Well said.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Its pretty much crap.
    They need to come out with something better if they want to compete with cydia, not pick up something outdated that was abandoned 2 years ago.

7. iChromeX thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really; it's more based on personal opinion toward it. As the responses clearly show, you love it or you hate it, not too much room in between.

8. palckofv macrumors regular

I can remember my experiences with icy to be ok at best...IMO rock was better..I've always preferred cydia though. Maybe I'll try it out to see if it's any better these days.