Icy OR Cydia OR Installer? What's difference?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by alazahee, May 24, 2011.

1. alazahee macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    may i know whats the difference between icy, cydia and installer? Which is better? I want to know more about these jailbreak stuff, new to it, THANKS GUYS, I appreciate ur help!:D
    Thanks.

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The main difference is that Icy and Installer have been dead and gone for pretty much years now. Though I did hear Icy maybe had a rerelease, I would still stick with Cydia.

3. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Definitely go with Cydia.

Icy and Installer were just re-released but offer nothing but alpha/beta stage troubled.

4. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Curious....

Am I the only one that thinks that Cydia is a terribly written program? iRock was much better...

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Cydia could definitely use some interface work, but Rock was terrible. Sure, it was nice looking and the organizational scheme was actually decent, but that stupid program must have trashed my phone two or three times because it didn't properly check dependencies or corrupted the apt database.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nowhere near terribly written. Rock was the buggiest piece of crap ever.

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

Since Cydia is the only game in town, whether Rock was better or not is irrelevant.

8. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Perhaps I did not use iRock enough to hate it lol.. but cydia aggravates me on a daily basis...

If I had the program open 2 seconds ago, I don't need it to check for updates!
    Also, how long have apps had multitasking now? Why can't I go to system settings and then back to cydia without it having to start all over and check for updates again....

Maybe i'm way off here, but I thought it was a lot better when we at least had a choice. It seems now that Saurik is only interested in nickle and diming everyone trying to download a theme, and he prevents innovation by buying out the competition...

9. Applejuiced, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

All these things have been talked about a thousand times.
    Those checks are there for a reason, unlike Rock that did things half a$$ed and your phone would need a restore or your remaining available space will be eaten up. Saurik is not nickle and diming anyone, the devs are the ones charging for their work that's all. If you dont want you dont buy.
    Maybe you should put out a more innovative and better option out there.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well said, ive only had a jailbroken iPhone since Oct and i think cydia has improved a ton with the last update, cant comment on Rock but cydia for me loads updates and all in about 8 seconds, i can live with that