Icy or Cydia?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Che Castro, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

I just tryed Icy for the first time today
    and wow that thing is fast :eek:

how many of you prefer Icy over cydia?

btw I have both on my 3g cydia & Icy :cool:

2. Agent 21 macrumors regular

I've never tried Icy, is it the same content as Cydia or is it different stuff?

3. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

yes its just faster & no ads, unless you click to see the full description of an app

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You know I'd probably have tried Icy if I still had my 3G, but the GS makes the Cydia lag bearable. Are all the common repos supported in Icy? What about the less common ones?

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I have both installed on my iPod touch (havent JB my iPhone yet). I still favour Cydia but, if anything, only because of my familiarity with it. I do like Icy, it's laid out very nicely, IMO.

To the people in this topic that haven't used it, the best way to explain it is that while Cydia tends to have the different repo's listed, Icy instead has everything split up into categories a'la the App Store. So you have an entire section dedicated to Themes, which is then broken down into things like Docks, Batteries, Sliders, Icons, etc. From what I've seen, it generally offers the same stuff as Cydia.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

From a usability POV how does Icy's categories differ from Cydia's?

7. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

lol just try it out

I think you can get Icy from cydia im not sure

I got mine when I did a restore I selected both while jailbreakin redsnow 0.8

I think its good to have both incase you have problems with cydia

8. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I prefer. Why? Well a couple weeks ago I installed Icy and yes, it was really fast. I then installed a program (Can't recall the name of it) and when it was restarting the springboard it never came back till like 30 minutes:eek: I tried hard resetting it and it would freeze at the Apple Logo:( It was a terrible experience and it luckily fixed itself. Deleted Icy ever since then

9. loki007420 macrumors member

where can you find and install ICY?

Nevermind i found it.. just add source http://apt.ripdev.com.. It is in there :)

10. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I had both, I don't like the interface on Icy.

11. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

so you dont remember the apps name huh :eek:

12. Andy Huang macrumors newbie

Probably something to do with mobile substrate. Icy developers are the guys that did Installer from way back, which had its problems and what nots. They are still not too keen on working with the whole mobile substrate thing, so they are doing all these weird stuff to work around it.

Read these and decide for yourself:
    http://ripdev.org/2008/12/pseudosubstrate.html

Be sure to read Saurik's replies in the comments section, and note how ripdev doesn't comment back...