Id I sold my iphone am I still eligible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abooch1, Jul 2, 2008.

1. abooch1 macrumors regular

to upgrade as a current iphone user? Well im selling it to my friend, and i unlocked it already and everything will I have a problem at ATT?

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

As long as you still have the iPhone plan on your contract you should be fine.

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

like JBaker said, keep you current data plan and they probably wont know the difference.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Easiest way to know is to look at you AT&T account, if it says you are eligible for an upgrade right now, then just make sure you don't change any plan features or anything and it should remain that way.

5. badmammajamma macrumors newbie

badmammajamma

If you sold it and are currently using a stand-in phone, they do know that you are not currently using your iPhone on your plan. But there is no way AT&T could know that you sold it (unless your friend activates it through iTunes on a new AT&T plan). Maybe you sent it in to Apple for service? Or you are traveling and don't want to use your iPhone in case it gets stolen or damaged?

And really, it shouldn't matter to them, all they care about is if you are still paying for the original iPhone voice+2G plan.

And to play it safe, if by chance they do ask, just say you already gave it away as a gift to a relative. There is actually a video on the AT&T website on giving it away to someone else, so that scenario wouldn't be a problem for you in terms of upgrade.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Some other guy in a thread look up his eligibility as he sold his iPhone a while back, and AT&T said that he was not eligible.

I don't know the details, I would just bring in your old iPhone original receipt just in case.

7. tritonj macrumors 6502a

to be honest i think ATT screwed up big time, i understand the motivation, they didn't want to piss off 1st gen owners and early adopters by making them pay full price for a phone, because this might discourage future sales of new products, so they decided to give them the same price break as new subscribers. the problem is the execution. instead of doing all these exceptions to their upgrade eligibility policy they should have simply left that policy alone, and instead just give current 1st gen subscribers a rebate or a voucher with the discount amount on it.

so launch day scenario for 1st gen owner

1. go to att/apple store
    2. pay normal price like all other ineligible users
    3. receive rebate voucher
    4. go home fill out the rebate and send in the Proof of Purchase from both boxes, get your rebate in the mail

i know it would suck to have to wait to get it, but i think it would eliminate a lot of the complaining confusion people are having because of all the exceptions to the rule that ATT is throwing out there

simple

8. trefaie macrumors newbie

why dont you just check on attwireless site if you are eligible or not????:confused:

9. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I am in a similar situation. I had an iPhone since launch, but I sold it about 3 weeks ago, and used my "upgrade" discount on a different phone. My account says I am not elligible for an upgrade (duh I just did one), but I am still paying for my iPhone Data Plan. I am going to the AT&T store tonight to see if I still qualifiy. If I don't I will be returning my "upgrade" phone, so that I DO qualify. I'll post here what I find out.

10. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

If you are talking about me ATT had on my plan that I was using a Nokia 6555, so If you dont change your plan or any thing you will still be eligible.