I'd like a keyboard refresh.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Elasto, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Elasto macrumors newbie

I know of the Mighty Mouse refresh rumors, and I would love to see a MM makeover, but I also want to see new keyboards. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple's keyboards, but I'd like to see something like this:

* Wireless
    * Full Length (With Num. pad)
    * Black Keys
    * Backlit
    * $99

I'm building an entire new setup, and I'd like to go completely wireless, but I need that full length keyboard... It also wouldn't hurt to toss in a splash of black to better match the current lineup. Backlit keys is just wishful thinking.

Just my hopes and thoughts.
    What are yours?

2. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I was thinking about this the other day and completely agree. Definitely need black keys and a backlight option. This would be nice along side a
    mighty mouse refresh.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

wouldn't a wireless backlit solution drain a little too much battery? because of this, i don't really see it happening. still, if it did, i'd buy one.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It might be somewhere in the future... I definitely like the look of the black keys on my Alu MB. However the backlight would be a problem... IT would drain the batteries too much.. Unless Apple builds a rechargeable battery for the keyboards (like for the iphone or ipod) it wouldn't be worth having... But if they did that, the price would most likely increase... But it would be sweet to be able to just charge it over USB or something..:D

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes it would drain the battery more but it would be welcomed for sure. I could suffer through a slight dip in battery loss on account of a backlit keyboard. I do miss the number pad though. I want wireless and a number pad. Is that so hard to understand?! I would also pay $100 for it, if need be. $80 if there's no lights. But I want the white/aluminum to stay.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Microsoft already does a backlight wireless Keyboard so I imagine it can't be that bad. I think Black keys would look better too. A Keypad would be nice but not essential.

7. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I agree with the OP. I don't know if backlighting would draw too much power form the battery. If it doesn't, that would be awesome.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the keypad is essential to many people. I know 10-key by touch, I am about 10x slower using the row of numbers. The only saving grace aside from using an app on my iPhone that gives me a number pad, is the fact that I use a laptop often and I've gotten used to the row of numbers. I'm still way more productive with a key pad.

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I agree with that, but for me I don't really NEED it, while i am much faster I like the small size of the keyboard.

10. errol macrumors 6502

errol

As a tax accountant, I need to use the numeric pad. Anytime I'm in a large spreadsheet, I have to have it. I would also settle for an external numerical keypad via bluetooth.

11. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I think they should keep the Wireless keyboard with a compact, numeric pad-less option. I love the convenience and portability of it. I also hope they have a little dock or USB charging solution to replace the batteries. I HATE replacing the batteries in them.

12. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Isn't there a program where you can use your iPhone/iPod Touch as a bluetooth numeric keypad?

13. iMacmatician macrumors 601

With the speculation of a new Mighty Mouse would it not be unreasonable to think that a new keyboard is coming too? Fits in with the speculation of a slight iMac redesign (color scheme to match the LED Cinema Display)...

Now I'm getting too optimistic here. :p

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

No, not soon.
    Maybe when the iMac gets a redesign.
    And yes, a backlit keyboard would drain the batter a lot.
    Maybe they can make it where you can charge it using your computer and while it's charging you can use it.
    I just got the Apple Keyboard a couple days ago and I love the white keys.
    I think that it would be better if they let you choose.
    Also, a backlit keyboard is more likely to happen on the wired version.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

with reference to the possibility of a backlight draining the keyboards battery too much, I highly doubt this as the keyboards are backlit using LED's and LED's use hardly any power, being fully lit 24/7 for a month wouldn't even take up 5% of an AA batteries power, think about the LED lighting your tv standby, it doesnt exactly make a massive impact on your home electric bill.

16. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Please not longer, thats the reason I bought the current one, it fits my desk perfectly.

17. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

+1 for wireless with the numeric keypad. This is for my G5, it's not a laptop!:p

18. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Full Size Wireless, With Black Backlit Keys, and Rechargable Batteries, And Optional Multi Touch Trackpad ($50 More or Something)