I'd like a watch...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cantthinkofone, Jan 8, 2010.

1. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I'm 23, and tired of dressing like a bum. I feel like a bum. I dress better than most people my age but i'd like to improve a little bit. I plan to go buy some new cloths, jeans, slacks, a pair or two of dress shoes, some nice polos.

But i'd also like to have a nice watch. Nothing flashy, not me. Just a nice respectable watch. Something a little nicer than a fossil.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i really like my seiko kinetic
    [​IMG]

Was around 300 ish in 03 so nice but also somewhat affordable as far as jewlery is concerned

you can spend as much as you want on a watch

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. Surely Guest

Surely

5. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Forgot to mention price.

$200 is about all i am willing to spend. Like i said, i'm not looking for bling.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

In 03, I got a New Citizen Calibre 8700 off ebay for around $225 (retail $350-400), it was very real and I still wear it today, a fantastic daily driver that looks very nice and gained many compliments. Its a bit big for some, if you plan to shop online I still suggest you try on all candidates in person, many watches may look right online but appear big / small depending on the size of your wrist. I highly recommend that watch. This was my upgrade from fossil land.

I honestly would suggest watch shopping on ebay if the seller has good feedback, I've had great experiences.

[​IMG]

If you want something a little cooler / more unique, I just got a Reactor Trident. Its a very durable and stylish watch to me. It survived some amazing recent war tales which can be researched on their website. I travel a lot and like something that can hang with me. I also really like polyurethane/rubber feel straps lately, they're more comfy than metal and wear better all day, plus they're very stylish /popular lately. This option is a little more expensive. This watch has a bit more of a tactical feel, which fits my personality and style, but I still wanted to suggest it in case you fall in love like I did. I have black on black but may go with a red face as an alternate.

[​IMG]

Finally another watch I have an love is a bit funky, this is mostly for going out and bit of a non-sequiter for my outfits

[​IMG]

I have two Nixon watches and a few Penguin watches for different purposes. I like to have lots of mid range watches for nights out and different outfits / occasions, right now I daily wear the citizen and the trident, hope this helps

http://www.citizenwatch.com/
    http://www.reactorwatch.com/
    http://www.nixonnow.com/mens-watches/
    http://www.penguinclothing.com/penguin-men-watches-watch-penguin.html

Oh yeah I'm a 24 year old guy, but my budget is probably a bit beyond yours. I'm somewhere in between straight laced and funky always trying to be stylish. I think you can find something pretty cool amongst all of my suggestions :)

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

8. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Am I the only one who read the thread title as I'd like to watch? :cool:

9. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I have a Nixon watch ("The Player") and I love it. I think they have some really interesting designs and you should definitely at least check them out.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What exactly are you trying to say about those of us who wear Fossil watches?

I quit wearing my $200 Citizen five years ago in favor of a Fossil. It looks nicer and feels better on my wrist. And it was only $70.

Is "dressing like a bum" about how much you spend? Because in my mind, the Fossil I own looks nicer than the Citizen.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think I dress ok as well, and I usually wear a Casio calculator watch instead of my far more expensive watches. ;) I think my calculator watch looks cool and nice, but if by 'nice' you meant 'classy', then no, my watch is not nice in that way. It really depends on what you want.

Also, think about a Skagen.

12. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I don't mean to say people who have a fossil are bums. I'm just saying that i'd like to be taken a little more serious than a fossil.

...Some how i still feel as tho i'm insulting people....I really don't mean too i swear :p

I'm really liking this one, just not the price tag haha.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Fair enough, but what exactly does a watch need to look like in order for its wearer to be taken seriously?

If this watch makes me look like a clown, I need to know - I'm a manager in a professional environment. I deal with clients on multi-million dollar projects. I can't afford for them not to take me seriously.

[​IMG]

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think wearing a fossil makes anyone look like a clown. Maybe if it's one of those wide leather strap ones with the chinese dragon on the face but not a simple dress watch where hardly anyone realizes the brand anyway.

I think it comes down to the OP not taking himself seriously. Rest assured, the job I have today I interviewed for wearing a superman fossil watch.

15. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You can get Eco Drive watches on Amazon from 150 on up. See if they have the one you want there.

16. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

To be fair to the OP, I kind of understand what he means.

If you want a serious watch, buy one with a leather strap. Not only could you get a leather strap version of a watch for less money than a metal bracelet version, but your watch may actually be more eye-catching. ;). I own a pretty nice Hamilton, and my wath gets more attention than my Step-dad's Omega Seamaster, Rolex, etc. Why? Probably because it has a nice brown strap and has a pink gold plated casing. His watches have metal bracelets, and these watches are rarely noticed.

Remember, once you start going for 'nice' watches, you're buying the only acceptable form of men's jewellery. You don't buy a $3000 watch for nobody to notice it. Sorry, but they're not for accurate time-keeping.

If you want functional, even a $10 quartz watch would be more accurate than my automatics.

Anyway, Seiko and Citizen are OK. If you get a metal bracelet with the watch, it would probably look like most expensive watches, as long as nobody looks closely enough at it to read the label.

HERE: Skagen

18. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I'll recommend one that I'm currently wearing. Go for either Oris or Tissot T-Touch series. Tissot has a touch screen range which is pretty cool.

19. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Thats about right. I'd like a "nice watch, he must be a respectable gentleman, nice to see somebody his age with a good head on his shoulders"

A watch that looks nice, but isn't flashy, or bling. I would look at a leather strap watch if it were Italian leather, hand stitched etc.

But for me a metal strap watch just seems more appealing to the eyes.

Maybe i have some postulations about watches....

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I've had a Citizen EcoDrive for years and recently got a Skagen titanium. I recommend them both, but only the Skagen was under $200.

The only Fossil watch I own includes Wile E. Coyote, and thus is too stylish for everyday wear.

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

::raises hand::

Although I read it as "I like to watch."

22. Surely Guest

Surely

I keep reading it as that, even though I know what the thread is about.

BTW, I'm still very happy with my Tissot PRC 200:

[​IMG]

23. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I would also say a nice watch is going to last a while, I'm sure that citizen has over 5 years of daily wear in it before it even shows any wear and probably about a lifetime if you push it and keep it clean, so consider saving a little longer and buying whatever you're truly in love with, you won't regret it.

24. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

I've really wanted this one since I saw it but its way overpriced imo.
    Looks comfortable too.

[​IMG]

link
    http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Men...ries/necessaryluxuries/PRDOVR~10884/10884.jsp

I've never been a fan of the watches with the metallic link bands... I dunno why, but I prefer leather or synthetic watch bands. Plus I like retro (aka overpriced) stuff. Sometimes the simplest stuff can be very stylish... or just look cheap :p

25. anti_ macrumors member

anti_

by chance do you have the CCW with Illuminator?