I'd like to put a solid state hard drive in my 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Imola Ghost, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I am considering putting a SSD in my June 2009 13" MBP. Is there any certain ones that work more easily on the macs?

Any quick useful advice anyone can give me first before buying and what to look for? I'm thinking I'd like to get a 256gb one but not sure. I'd like to find one that isn't going to break the bank but I know they're expensive, and I'm just looking for the best buy.

2. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

Most if not all SSD just show up as a generic disk to the OS, I just installed a Kingston V100 128GB in mine and it was a 5 min job. Plugged in the old disk in an external USB SATA enclosure and booted from a Snow Leopard DVD and used the disk utility to restore the old disk to the new one. An hour later everything was back as normal but a lot faster. Best upgrade I ever did.

3. 0815 macrumors 68000

I have the

CORSAIR CMFSSD-256GBG2D 256GB SATA II Solid State Drive (SSD) Solid State Drive Retail

Best upgrade I have ever done to any computer.

I would recommend looking that the page from "Other World Computing" they have usually good pages with descriptions of would to look for:

http://eshop.macsales.com/

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Review wise, the best ranking SSD is Intel, which is the most tried and tested of all SSDs and although slower than other ones, the difference is speed is probably negligable. Also, Intel makes some of the Kingston drives as well and so they are just as good, and occasionally lower priced. The OWC also gets great review after review; I use it myself and love it. Crucial is pretty well reviewed. I am missing some as there are other brands which are also highly praised. I would stay away from the all the OCZ SSDs (Vertex/Agility/Colloses/etc) as they seem to have inferior quality control to other SSDs based of a lot of reviews.

5. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

6. bniu macrumors 6502a

once you go SSD, you never go back. The difference is truly night and day. Hard drive is slow, you have to worry about the heads crashing, I always worried when using my MBP on a bus and all those bumps. Now with SSD, I never have to care, programs launch instantly, instant on from sleep, the absolute best upgrade you can do! Combine it with 8GB RAM and it's like you just bought a brand new machine! As soon as 256 gets cheaper, I'm upgrading to replace my 128 Kingston (the older model, not very fast but why pay through the nose for an interim solution?)