Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbrandt6

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Michigan
Currently have G5 1.8 GHz with 7 GB Ram, 2-150 GB internal HD's, 1-TB external HD for Time Machine, new Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-116D and ATI Radeon X800XT 256 MB VRAM graphic card.

I would buy the new $599 Mini (after Snow Leopard is available) and upgrade it myself with 4 GB Ram, and the 320GB Scorpio Black internal HD (8,200 rpm with 16 MB cache. I don't have a problem with getting into the computer and doing the upgrades myself.

I have the alum. extended keyboard and two 20" mac cinema displays (the older plastic ones), firewire apple camera mounted on top of one of the displays.. all of which I would continue to use with the new Mini.

I mostly use Safari, Mail, iChat, iPhoto, iCal, iTunes, Quicken 2007, Microsoft Office 2008 and a CAD program called Archicad.

Knowing these facts.... would I be happy? Would YOU be happy?

Thanks for your input!

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
I sold my G5 DP 2.0

and traded up to a solo mini (intel of course), overall very happy, but was using G5 for encoding videos / surfing / and iTunes. The mini excels at all of the above... have since moved to a new MBP (late 2008).

now, I am unsure how the X800 vs the Nvidia 9400 will compare, but ill bet in pure 3d games the X800 / G5 will surpass a new Mini with 9400, just a guess tho, maybe someone out there has benched them.

if not doing games, then you will be incredibly pleased with a new mini.

arcadeforest

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
The mini is an all around great machine at a decent price (for apple anyways). Get the basic as you said and upgrade the ram/hard drive and your good to go on just about anything outside of high end / graphic intense gaming. Yes, an iMac or Mac Pro would be faster and potentially last longer before you would want to update but at double to quadruple the cost. With the cost savings you could always pick up a new mini in a year or so when it updates again and still be ahead money wise. Just my thoughts, theres no right way as long as you will be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.