I'd like to see a 'hack' of the wireless iTMS...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by mrgreen4242, Jan 11, 2008.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

What I mean by this is a program that takes the iTMS application and lets you point it at your home iTunes library, which you can then search and "shop" from... basically, a work around for wireless syncing, using what's already a pretty well designed interface.

I suppose that you'd probably just need a desktop app indexes your music (or uses the already existing iTunes database) that accepts all the request the iTMS iPod app generates and then replies with the "right" answers. Then you'd just need to make a copy of the iTMS app and hack it to point at some other IP address.

Seems like some packet sniffing/recording, and a little disassembly would be all you'd need to make this happen... Anywho, that's my iPt idea for the day. :)

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's a cool idea. Because right now, the iTMS is the only way to add new songs to your iPod's library without using a USB cable. That would be very handy too because sometimes I'll THINK a song is on my iPod and it won't be there because I forgot to add it... I could just go download it from home and listen to it right away as well as have it with the rest of my music (instead of some root directory folder that holds downloads).

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yup. It bypasses the issue of having to figure out how to fool the iPod into adding a song to it's library without syncing... the touch (and iPhone) are already capable of doing that, it's merely the source of the music that needs to be addressed.

I'm a "programmer" but not at that level... more a database and PHP scripter kind of level. Maybe someone will work this out, or maybe Apple will enable something similar in a future update. Even if Apple does add a wireless syncing option, I can't think of a better way to implement it than "shopping" your own home library.