I'd love a bit of feedback on my design.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tuinte, Oct 31, 2011.

1. tuinte macrumors member

Good day all:

I've been swimming in this design for a few weeks and just need a fresh set of eyes. Any feedback is appreciated. Love how helpful people are on this forum.

http://www.mcdonaldeditorial.ca

Michael

2. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

3. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

Gorgeous site.

The only criticism I have is the Fees and Contact page column structures are not uniform with the other pages.

4. tuinte thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys.

Those are kind words, thanks. After awhile my ability to even gauge the visual interest of the site I'm designing just disappears. Feedback noted and thanks.

Michael

5. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Very nice clean design - but yes, as someone else has already mentioned, try and get the alignment consistent across all pages...
    The title on the about and testimonials pages are slightly to the left compared to all the others.

Minor things, but should be easy to fix :)

6. digitalField macrumors regular

my big issue is the navigation.
    its fine on the first page but then after that its a guessing game as to where the icons will take me.

i'm lazy and dont like to click without knowing where it is going to take me. The icons are very nice and a simple solution would be to at title tags to your navigation so that on hover i could see the section. a more elegant solution would be a little js tooltip that gives your some creative control over how that tooltip appears and shows. my ideal/preferred solution would be to have the section listed below/near the icon so i can just scan the sections.

M

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

+1

I'd add pop overs that identify the labels for the icons at the top after you move from the front page. Otherwise really good stuff.

8. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Don't forget about touch devices that won't display "mouse overs."

"Mystery meat" navigation is popular with designers because of the clean, simple look but its very unpopular with (most) people because its not user-friendly.

9. Frank in NL macrumors newbie

Frank in NL

Which Country?

Hi,
    I like the simple interface.
    One thing I would suggest is a change for your contact page...
    For your phone number please include your country code (if you are expecting external visitors).

10. theheadguy macrumors 65816

First, I think it's a fantastic site. Very clean and user friendly. One suggestion - check with a friend who is an expert in marketing and layout and see what they think. Often web designers (myself included) lump ourselves into that category, but really - some people who don't web design are marketing and layout geniuses.

The only critique I have is the front page looks a little bare to me. And yes - I get it - you/your client is going for a minimalistic look, but still... it looks even more bare on the iPhone (take a peek at the difference). I think we are moving towards a time when people are starting to personalize things a bit more. It's like, what sets your [client] apart from the other people who have clean, snazzy sites? How about the photo that is in the "About Me" section on the front page in a classy frame and in a location that doesn't distract people? I think, especially for a freelance writer -- they want people to know about themselves as a person, not a business in which they appear as an employee.

I could be way off base here -- but that is my 2c worth. Overall, it's a really neat design.

11. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Very nice!

What I would change:

- The center-aligned paragraph below each icon in their respective pages.

- Not sure about this one, but I would change the icon to the right side of the white box. I've always find it very difficult to concentrate in the content when the main content is in the right side. Specially when you have pictures/images in the left side.

Otherwise, I love the design. The icons are specially amazing!