Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oferk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Hi everyone,
I just got rage for mac, and the texture popping is very severe. This is surprising, because I have a high-end MBP, with 2.2Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 1GB VRAM and 7200RPM HD. I think the only better option is the newer 2.4Ghz processors. Anyway, I tried changing the settings a lot, but the internal benchmark option always ends up 54, which is "good". No matter what I change. The game itself runs smoothly, and I did install the patch. The tweaks suggested in the tweak guides are not working for me on the mac. Are they supposed to work?

Any advice?

Thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hi everyone,
I just got rage for mac, and the texture popping is very severe. This is surprising, because I have a high-end MBP, with 2.2Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 1GB VRAM and 7200RPM HD. I think the only better option is the newer 2.4Ghz processors. Anyway, I tried changing the settings a lot, but the internal benchmark option always ends up 54, which is "good". No matter what I change. The game itself runs smoothly, and I did install the patch. The tweaks suggested in the tweak guides are not working for me on the mac. Are they supposed to work?

Any advice?

Thanks

Nature of that game is the streaming texture engine. It's just not that smooth most of the time, that being said I wouldn't call it severe for me (macpro 2.8 anti 5870) so similar spec to you.

oferk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
OK, thanks. But if the 2011 MBP is just enough, and nothing more, I am surprised I haven't found one setting to lower quality but improve performance. Its like this is the only way to run this game on a MBP, regardless of quality, and this is strange.
And by severe I mean about 3 to 4 seconds to fully load the textures of a new view. sometimes it is better.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
i have a desktop 2700K at 4Ghz, a 128GB SSD and a radeon HD 7970 3GB and i still get it aswell, i feel like its just bad coding

Yep, you should play it on the 360 or PS3. Make a quick 180 degree turn and it's texture load in central.

Though 4-5 seconds in the OP's instance is excessive. Whilst its always noticeable even on higher systems, it should not take such an exaggerated length of loading.

Out of interest OP are you playing the Mac or Bootcamp version?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Rage is, I understand, the first id game to be first and foremost designed as a console game experience, which means a lot of the tweaking capabilities that you're used to in id titles aren't available here. It's designed to look like it looks with a constant 60 fps available.

A lot of us think id dropped the ball here. But, be it known that this may have little to do with the texture popping (which is common to all platforms the game runs on, and no firmware fix is available yet).

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Firmware is (semi) permanent software programmed into a (mostly) read-only memory unit usually on embedded hardware, it is designed to be very rarely updated if ever.

Your PC/Mac motherboard has firmware, your graphics card and even keyboard will have firmware but so does your washing machine and car stereo!

Software is the program(s) and other operating information used by a computer.

In the case of Rage you would be wanting a software fix to update the application to improve the streaming.

A firmware fix would be if the graphics firmware on a specific card had bug which effected the graphics output.

I only posted to explain the difference between firmware and software in basic terms to helpfully help people in the thread understand the basic differences. I don't want anyone to think I am trying to make anyone look silly :)

Edwin

oferk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Im playing the native mac version. I guess this mega-texture concept is not as good as I originally thought. I also don't see significant quality improvement comparing to games like uncharted3 or GOW3.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Firmware is (semi) permanent software programmed into a (mostly) read-only memory unit usually on embedded hardware, it is designed to be very rarely updated if ever.

Your PC/Mac motherboard has firmware, your graphics card and even keyboard will have firmware but so does your washing machine and car stereo!

Software is the program(s) and other operating information used by a computer.

In the case of Rage you would be wanting a software fix to update the application to improve the streaming.

A firmware fix would be if the graphics firmware on a specific card had bug which effected the graphics output.

I only posted to explain the difference between firmware and software in basic terms to helpfully help people in the thread understand the basic differences. I don't want anyone to think I am trying to make anyone look silly :)

Edwin

You're right! Thanks for the catch. I've been posting so much on AVS forums lately that I forgot what term I should be using! No more posting while sleepy again for me.

So, no worries about making me look silly. I did a good enough job myself!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.