I'd really like to buy a MBP (13 inch)...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Captain Planet, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

But I'm kind of tight with finances, having to pay for university already. So I started looking at those refurbished ones. I just wanted to know if anyone here has bought a refurb MBP lately. I'm sure they're are as reliable as a new product... but I always like to buy my stuff new. Any thoughts about a refurbished MBP? Is it worth it?

2. vespoli macrumors member

Have you considered Apple's education purchase program?

http://www.apple.com/education/

Order prior to Sept. 8 and you get a free iPod touch (or $229 toward an MP3 player).

The prices are discounted, too, bring them closer in line to refurb models.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sometimes I have found that buyers are very happy with a refub because it has had that extra level of QC that the factory machines didn't get the first time around.

I would buy a refurb to be honest.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My thought is to use the search feature. Some people prefer the refurbs over the new ones because they are checked in the U.S. by hand. The warranty is the same and the chance of problems seems to be the same as a new one.

5. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Well, with the education discount I would save maybe like $250 at most... it would still cost me a lot cheaper to get a refurb. Now, I'm looking at different models and I notice that the discounts aren't the same for all of them. Like, a more powerful MBP can be cheaper than one less powerful. What determines those prices? How much of a badshape they were before being refurbished?