I'd wager that the 2012 mbp will....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nychot, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Not have a superdrive. It will follow in the footsteps of the mac mini as cloud oriented which is apple's new wave like the mba, ipad etc. It'll make the mbp lighter and thinner and in my opinion less of a great computer although a good external dvd like the samsung can be bought for $35. Still thats not the same as having it all in one piece. I also think it will be offered with ssd instead of hd. Thoughts?

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

If that's what happens I'll be happy.
    I have the 2011 with 2 SSD's and no SuperDrive already.

3. eternalife macrumors regular

Works for me as long as they don't fill it up the space. If an option for a second drive goes away it would be a failure.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

it could make a cup of tea but as most other useless threads on what a 2012 macbook pro have, we wont know till next year, and chances are, you will all hype it up so much, we will be dissapointed as the iphone 4s LOL

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'd wager that the 2012 mbp will....

faster that this one at the same price point, and that everyone will go ga-ga over it then proceed to make it faster and then benchmark the heck out of it. ;)

6. pingfan59 macrumors member

I will wager that the 2012 MBP will be...a great laptop just like the 2011 MBP...just utilizing more technological advances that have come since the 2011 MBP...:apple:

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I hope they will support Intel SRT with mSATA mini SSDs which would replace the SSD in optibay otpion we have now and is such a good solution as SSDs will not be suitable for mass storage for a long time but they give speed for all the need stuff.
    A 64 GB Intel SRT + 1 TB HDD should make most people happy.

8. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Will retain the same form factor with more SSD options at a lower cost and the option for dual HDs or still having a SuperDrive. I don't think 2012 is the year they will remove the SD from the Pro line. Processor and GPU bump as well.

This does not mean they won't release a separate 15" MBA at some point in 2012 however but I do not think it will be in place of a 15" Pro anytime soon. At some point once GPU catches up and cd/dvd are even less necessary possibly...2013 perhaps or 2014 no doubt.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

I actually need the superdrive as I do a lot of video work but we'll see... I don't plan on changing my computer anytime soon.

10. HRodMusic macrumors member

HRodMusic

how are the 2 ssd working for you? fast? i want that sooo bad lol

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I reckon it'll have a diff design, but not significantly lighter and thinner. Instead there'd be better hardware, such as a more powerful GPU, quadcore processor in the 13", better heat management in the 13" and better battery life.

12. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Yea it's really really fast. I bought the first one by mistake. Actually I forgot to cancel the order when I decided to get the second one instead.

When I put my HDD back in after a few days and put the first SSD in the optibay I just couldn't stand the vibrations and the battery drain so I just decided to use both SSD's and not return it since I still needed more space than there was available on the first SSD alone.

Everything is working fine and I'm very happy.

13. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

No ODD, 256gb SSD standard + more battery life. Basically, a beefed up Air to maintain its "pro" moniker. Anything else is gravy.

The SSD (or some kind of flash memory) is a given since that's what OSX Lion is made for.

14. eaf7s macrumors regular

Tbf, I called that so hard lol. No way they were going to waste a total redesign before the goddamned carriers could actually support it moving to LTE.

15. whooda4 macrumors newbie

what about the macbook air is PRO?

The Pro needs to have a super drive or it needs to loose Pro name.

Why make two similar laptops in two very different laptop lines?

The macbook air is an ultra portable that does not need and optical disk drive.

The pro is a portable professional machine that can be used in lieu of a desktop.
    Just because you dont use it does not mean it should not be there. It is a PRO machine.

Leave the form factor the same and don't keep taking things that people use. I hope they do not merge the air and pro lines into a single device. I tried the optibay and hated it. It was nice having the storage and speed with a ssd but super drive was a pain in the ass having to constantly bring it with me. I like the way it is.

They need to make a 15" macbook air!

16. nostylez macrumors member

How's the battery usage having 2 drives running?
    I'm considering adding an optibay with SSD on my 13 pro.

17. kvnkvnkvn macrumors member

I dont mind removing the superdrive as long as they deduct $20 or $30 from the price but if it is the same price I want my damn superdrive

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Superdrives don't make a Macbook Pro.

It's about the CPU/GPU used the motherboard chipset and other connectivity features that typically would be used in a Pro environment.

The Superdrive as integrated item is history. It's only a matter of time.

19. kvnkvnkvn macrumors member

True but would you pay the same price for less, regardless of if its a pro feature or not. Why pay the same price for less features; if the superdrive is removed do you think they will add something to make up for it or just update the Macbook Pro as they normally would just without a superdrive. I would love for them to drop the super drive and maybe add 3 or 4 usb ports, or anothercard reader and a usb port

20. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I wager that it will have an optical drive until 2014.

1. Music CDs
    2. Audiobook CDs
    3. DVD movies (yes, some people can withstand 576p)
    4. CDs included with books, e.g. test prep
    5. Legacy/boxed software support
    etc.

Remember, this is a premium full-featured laptop, not an ultraportable. As long as the MacBook Pro stays thick enough to be classified as such, it will include an optical drive.

Less tech-savvy people will still stick a DVD into their DVD player by their TV. Why you would do this, I don't even know, since a dongle is cheaper, but they do it anyways.

Also keep in mind that for manufacturing, DVD/CDs are much more practical. GB per GB, they're cheaper than SSDs, and they will stay that way for some years to come.

Now, if Apple gave 2 different chassis, one with an ODD and one without, then it would be a different story.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never seen a 14-15" laptop without an ODD.

21. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

You'll get more features. Apple doesn't give out discounts they just add features in to justify the price point staying the same.

For instance

The new Mac mini now has a Thunderbolt port yet no Superdrive. Uncharacteristically it now starts out at $599. You're not going to get stiffed with a MBP that is sans Superdrive...the money that would have been spent on the drive will simply go elsewhere to beef up the spec.

1. Apple promotes media purchases through iTunes.
    2. See #1
    3. See #1
    4. Still doesn't mean that an integrated drive is necessary. (Remote Disc)
    5. Mac App Store

The Superdrive doesn't stand a snowballs change in Hades of lasting until 2014

22. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The removal of the ODD of Mac Minis caused much criticism and controversy from many people, including Mac converters and the HTPC crowd. They could have easily kept the ODD, too. There is enough room in the Mac Mini to add a 12.5mm hard drive; they can stick a 9.5mm ODD in without breaking a sweat.

Also, Apple promotes 720p video over 1080p but look at the iPhone 4S camera.
    The iTunes Store does not have many popular artists. Ever hear of AC/DC and Kid Rock?
    Did I not explain why the DVD is going to stay?
    Yes, people would rather buy 2 Macs for the sole purpose of using the optical drive than have one integrated into the laptop. /s
    Like I said, Mac App Store does not have every single app, such as legacy and boxed software. Good luck submitting the Adobe Master Suite to the App Store.

23. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

Can we talk about how amazing the unibody design is that they're still using it nearly four years later, and it still looks better than that of any other manufacturer?

I'd wager that the 2012 mpb will retain the same unibody design. 'Casue it's perfect.