Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hi all

Using Max for id3 tag editing on Mac, but i really hate it having to convert to a new file just to re-save meta tag info..

Is there a better option to just keep the original, or at least just copy the file and edit the copy, don't covert anything ?

Or must i do converting ?

itsLouieV

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Chicago
Also interested, wondering if there is anything that would auto search indexes such as gracenote to auto fill information and artwork.

Pushpaw

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
Kid3 is pretty useful, and will show you all the tags in your files. (Some editors, including iTunes, ignore tags that they don't recognize or that are non-standard. Kid3 will display them and allow you to edit or delete them as desired.) It also has some options for pulling straight from Discogs or other sources. The UI takes a little getting used to, but it is free so give it a try.

http://kid3.sourceforge.net/

----------

Hi all

but i really hate it having to convert to a new file just to re-save meta tag info..

I

You should never have to convert or transcode a file just to edit tags. That is awful...

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I still like MP3Tag the best.
There is no official OS X version but if you look you can find Wine versions that get updated pretty much regularly.

chaos2oo2

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2014
Kid3 is awful...I switched from Windows and was used to Mp3tag. Until now I've found no alternative yet...

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Kid3 is awful...I switched from Windows and was used to Mp3tag. Until now I've found no alternative yet...

Definitely go for Metadatics.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/metadatics/id554883654?mt=12

Definitely the best tag editor for OS X in my opinion.
I was also an mp3tag user before switching from Windows five years ago, couldn't find a better alternative, kept using mp3tag in VirtualBox as one of the last pieces of Windows software I "depended on", until I came across Metadatics. It uses a very similar logic and workflow.
Pro Audio Converter from the same developer is also worth checking out BTW.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
great find, thank you! I will try that.

Is this tool capable of sorting my mp3s by their tag? Like I have a folder with some mp3s and I rename them to subfolder like <artist>\<album>\<tracknr> - <title>

Thats what I used to do in mp3tag

Yep, you can do it. You can sort the files by any criteria - file name, path or indeed any tag field. It was exactly what I was used to do in mp3tag and subsequently found I can do in Metadatics. So we're in luck :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Definitely go for Metadatics.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/metadatics/id554883654?mt=12

Definitely the best tag editor for OS X in my opinion.
I was also an mp3tag user before switching from Windows five years ago, couldn't find a better alternative, kept using mp3tag in VirtualBox as one of the last pieces of Windows software I "depended on", until I came across Metadatics. It uses a very similar logic and workflow.
Pro Audio Converter from the same developer is also worth checking out BTW.

Bringing back an old thread... So looking for a new Tagger on the Mac side as the one I have been using doesn't do what I would like it to do...

Does Metadatics allow you to do the following:

Disc Number - Track Number Track Title
01-12 Into the Darkness
02-01 Intro

I would like to find a Mac application that can do this... I have a lot of multi-disc sets and I don't want to put them in their own folders... I like having them all in the same folder.

Current:
Artist\Album Title\Disc 1\Tracks
Artist\Album Title\Disc 2\Tracks

Would like:
Artist\Album\Tracks

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Bringing back an old thread... So looking for a new Tagger on the Mac side as the one I have been using doesn't do what I would like it to do...

Does Metadatics allow you to do the following:

Disc Number - Track Number Track Title
01-12 Into the Darkness
02-01 Intro

I would like to find a Mac application that can do this... I have a lot of multi-disc sets and I don't want to put them in their own folders... I like having them all in the same folder.

Current:
Artist\Album Title\Disc 1\Tracks
Artist\Album Title\Disc 2\Tracks

Would like:
Artist\Album\Tracks
Just last week I found Kid3 Audio Tagger for Linux and I like it a lot. Their webpage says it also supports macOS.

It's also still under active development with the latest update on 23 Dec 2019.

Reactions: rhett7660

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Looking for an app that will allow me to edit the volume to make my songs a consistent volume.

Mp3tag looks like a great app, but can't find out if it can do this task.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I just paid $20 for MP3Tag on the mac App store last week. This thing I should have used YEARS ago. I'm almost done getting correct tags for my files I've had for the last 15 years. I relied on iTunes way too much to "tag" stuff but it actually didn't.

DroopDawg

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
I use Tagr and that has worked great for years for me.

For making my sound files the same volume, I use Platinum Notes.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2021
I used Kid3 a lot, but, yes, it's a fairly confusing program. Maybe I will try some of the others suggested here. I use Swinsian as my player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.