Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's wearables shipments nearly tripled in the third quarter of 2019 due to the growing popularity of the Apple Watch, AirPods, and Beats headphones, according to research firm IDC.

apple-watch-airpods-gift-2019-800x799.jpeg

IDC estimates that Apple shipped 29.5 million wearables last quarter, up from 10 million in the third quarter of 2018. Apple remained the world's largest wearables vendor, and the launch of the AirPods Pro and discounts on Apple Watch Series 3 models should keep the company in the lead, the research firm said.

Apple does not disclose wearables sales on a product or unit basis, so emphasis should be placed on IDC's figures being estimates, but all signs do point towards the Apple Watch and AirPods selling very well.

idc-3q19-wearables-800x736.jpg

Apple's "Wearables, Home and Accessories" revenue was a record-setting $6.5 billion in the third quarter of 2019, up 54 percent from $4.2 billion in the year-ago quarter. In addition to the Apple Watch, AirPods, and Beats, the category includes the HomePod, Apple TV, iPod touch, and both Apple-branded and third-party accessories.

AirPods Pro are currently estimated for delivery in January for orders placed on Apple.com, demonstrating how popular the new earphones are, although they remain available at select resellers.

Article Link: IDC: Apple's Wearables Shipments Surged Last Quarter on Popularity of Apple Watch, AirPods, and Beats

Last edited:

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
"...the category includes the HomePod, Apple TV"

What? A HomePod is a wearable? I must be completely out of the fashion loop.

Comment

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
No surprise there. Airpods are arguably the biggest new product since the original iPhone. And people laughed at them.

I admit I was an early doubter, such a great product. Just wish mine stayed in my ears. Had to go back to over-the-ear headphones since my airpods would either feel like they're falling out all of the time or actually fall out at the most inopportune times. Like hurrying to cross the street or in the middle of crowds at the train station. Only time I wear them now is when I'm wearing a beanie since the hat makes them stay in

Reactions: everlast3434
Comment

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
It seems weird to include watches and headphones in a single category. I mean just throw in cases and call it "other stuff we sell".

Comment

repoman016

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
I admit I was an early doubter, such a great product. Just wish mine stayed in my ears. Had to go back to over-the-ear headphones since my airpods would either feel like they're falling out all of the time or actually fall out at the most inopportune times. Like hurrying to cross the street or in the middle of crowds at the train station. Only time I wear them now is when I'm wearing a beanie since the hat makes them stay in
get a pair of wing tips off amazon. They suck because you have to put them on and take them off every use, but they wont fall out of your ears anymore. I wouldn't be able to wear mine without them.

Comment

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
get a pair of wing tips off amazon. They suck because you have to put them on and take them off every use, but they wont fall out of your ears anymore. I wouldn't be able to wear mine without them.

I already have a pair of "wrap around the ear" earbuds that I use for working out. Seems like the wing tips would be the same as those. I also bought some silicon covers thinking that would make a better fit, and it didn't help at all. Just accepted the fact that they don't work for me, and I'm out of 130 bucks

Comment

basehead617

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017

Odd you say that.. I’m amazed at how mine (non-Pro) stay in, even pounding the pavement at fast running paces.

Comment

apparatchik

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
Units (Volume) is always a rather shady metric, like when you put in the same basket a $149 Android phone and a $999 iPhone or the $2K galaxy fold. In this case, even more so, as they're mixing $49 wireless earbuds with $600 smartwatches, both counting as 1 unit to arrive to this so-called "marketshare" figure.

Reactions: jhfenton
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.