IDE ATA-133 to Serial ATA SATA Converter

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dmueller6, Mar 11, 2012.

1. dmueller6 macrumors newbie

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Been there, done that.... It works well enough for normal everyday uses but not for things like video or other I/O intensive work.

However, that ad you linked to seems a bit odd looking, as if it was made up by a 2 yr old. Plus it is a bit misleading, stating that the adapter will turn your old drives into next gen high speed devices.......uh huh, yea right :p

IMHO, I would just get an external case and the portability that comes with it too, for just a few more $$........

3. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Those have been known to lead to data corruption, so i do not reccommend this. You could very well ruin some data on your drive.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I never had any data corruption issues in over 5 years of using these adapters, so obviously YMMV :)

And I used them until xmas, when I finally sold off my last remaining ATA/133 drives

5. dmueller6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think because its in an enclosure that it may look weird. I do have an external usb case but then i need to have 2 cords , usb and power going to the thing. With the adapter, it should fit in the g5 case and no one can see it. I know about the performance hit, but new drives are crazy high right now.

6. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

back in the athlon xp time, this came with a very well known motherboard, the abit nf7-s, so if it is a good one I guess you won't have problems.
    I had a cheapo one and when I used it ,it worked fine.

7. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

My nf7-s never had this?! your lucky!

8. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

I never had a nf7-s I had DFI Lanparty nf2 :p but a friend of mine had a nf7-s.I guess that adapter was called serillel adapter.