IDE/ATA 7200 rpm...Do they still exist?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shaunymac, Aug 14, 2008.

1. shaunymac macrumors 6502

I put one in my iBook around six months tow year ago and now I was entertaing the thought of doing it to my 12" PowerBook. I like the overall feeilng it gave as far as feeling speedier in starting up and retrieving files, but now I just can't seem to find one. Granted I'm at work and the I only Internet access I have without getting in trouble is my iPhone, I have looked at newegg macsales and have only found 5400rpm drives. Hmm, should I rip apart that iBook I gave my I mom and steal that drive?:)

Just wondering if any of you had run into this or know of any place to search for that type of drive considering it's age.

Thanks.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

TigerDirect is another good place. You can also break out the yellow pages and just start calling all the computer shops in your town. Occasionally you get lucky and they happen to have some hole-in-the-wall part the big boys don't carry.

I think the market for high-performance PATA drives is just too small though. Most people who'd want such a drive have a newer machine with SATA.

3. sdsviet macrumors regular

yea why dont u just switch out urs with your mom? i'd do it. hehe

4. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

nevermind. i swear i clicked on laptop drives, but those were desktop drives. back to the search!

there used to be a site called dirt cheap drives that i bought a lot of hdds from, but they seem to be closed now. all of the big sites i'd buy from only have 5400 rpm drives. guess you might have to snag your mom's drive after all!

5. sdsviet macrumors regular

yea it looks like everything is out of stock. best bet is steal ur moms or try to have a sata to ide converter?