IDE hard drive stealing boot focus.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by swiss tony, Oct 25, 2009.

1. swiss tony macrumors newbie

I've been trying all day to install a hard drive IDE under the optical drive in a macpro early 2008. However when i boot, it fails to boot the 1st SATA drive with my windows installation. I assume that the new drive has priority and is probably assigned as C: due to being on the IDE cable.
    Ive tried all combinations of jumper settings on the hard drive.
    Drive is formatted so when it tries to boot from it, it simply displays a flashing dash.

I just wanted a little extra storage!

Any suggestions would be superb. I dont run osX as i have a non efi card installed.

Thanks
    M

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Try replacing one of the older S-ATA hard drives with a bigger one. They're cheap.

You've got 4 slots.

3. swiss tony thread starter macrumors newbie

they are all full! Ive spent enough money recently!
    Thanks anyway

4. rtrt, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

It would probably make more sense to use one of the spare ODD SATA ports on the logic board. Fit a 50cm long SATA cable through the bulk head hole into the ODD bay. Put an adapter Molex->SATA in there for power.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

I presume the only drive available to the OP is IDE, since this seems to be the only drive attempt mentioned (and no funds to acquire a SATA drive ATM). But SATA would be much easier though if at all possible (one lying around or perhaps even bartered for from a friend). ;)

7. swiss tony thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions!

When i do hold alt it shows the windows boot, on clicking proceeds to a black screen with blinking dash.
    Its a bit of a pain
    Will probably just sell the HDD on ebay!
    Screw it, ghost image will have to wait for another day.
    Cheers guys.