IDE questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sbluetruck, Oct 15, 2007.

1. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

Okay, so I was using my homemade external drive I cobbeled together from an old IDE drive and a nice but relatively inexpensive enclosure, and I got the "infamous" clicking of it dying. I was (fortunately) lucky enough to get all my data off before it finally bit the dust and now i'm in the market for a new drive.

I see that Newegg has some nice 3.5" IDE drives, 80GB for ~$40 seems like a great deal to me. my questions are.... what are the differences between IDE Ultra 100 and 133??? Also, I was looking at an 80GB, 7200RPM WD Caviar for $40, and the same model for $45. My question is, would a 8MB cache as opposed to a 2MB cache for an external drive be worth the extra money?

If I can use IDE Ultra 133 in an IDE enclosure, I would rather spend the money on this Hitachi drive, because it seems like the better value.

I'm not looking to spend much, seeing as I got the original 30GB drive for free and spent $30 on an enclosure, but any other options are greatly appreciated! If I can spend under $50, seeing the options already out there, it would be great!

EDIT: oh, and size doesn't matter as much, but i'd look foward to maybe doing the occasional backup on it if i had the option, so i'd have a bootable disk image, maybe install Ubuntu, and get the most bang for my buck :)

Thanks for all your help guys!

2. sbluetruck thread starter macrumors regular

sbluetruck

just confirmed my thought that Ultra ATA100 and Ultra ATA133 are interchageable.

gonna go with the Deskstar unless otherwise told, it seems like 160GB, 7200RPM for $54.14 after shipping is a great deal!

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Just one thing you might keep in mind: Depending on how old your enclosure is, it may not recognize drives bigger than 128GB (the specs of it should say somewhere). If not, I think a 160GB drive will just appear as 128GB and still work, but if the price is the same or cheaper, there's no real advantage to getting over 120GB.

4. sbluetruck thread starter macrumors regular

sbluetruck

i bought the enclosure about two weeks ago off newegg. haha lucky me, i thought i was saving money doing it this way with a free drive :rolleyes:

THIS is the enclosure though. Pretty nice, nothing fancy and works every time.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Drive price: $60 for 300gb ATA drive... I only get drives with 5 year warranty now (3 year if the price is really good), never 1 year warranty.

dealmac.com/deals/Seagate-Barracuda-300-GB-IDE-Internal-Hard-Drive-for-60-shipped/191894.html

From my experience, home made external drive (especially with the cheapest enclosures) seems to die quicker / can experience more problems than pre-made or internal drives.

6. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Hehe, this made me smile. I know, I know... I'm immature.