[Idea] App Store Demos

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by iPhoneApple, Jun 25, 2012.

?

Should the App Store have a "mini-app" demo section instead of pictures of the app?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. It should be up to the developer

27 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. iPhoneApple, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

Since the App Store what started, many people have had issues trying out apps before buying them. I was thinking that instead of developers just putting pictures at the bottom of the app info, Apple could add an API so instead of photos people could try the app in the window and see some features. This way people can try apps before paying and developers don't need to make separate "lite" versions.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Not too bad of an idea. You should tell Apple directly though.

Apple Feedback.

3. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

Yo, I heard you like apps, so we put an app in your app so you can look at apps while you look for apps :p

Corny joke aside, I think it's a great idea and hadn't thought of implementing it in the current pictures space before! That really would be nice though, would've saved those poor souls who bought the "I Am Rich" app quite a bit of money...

4. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Nice idea. A simple video would be another alternative.

5. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I sent it in. Thanks for the link!

It sounds confusing; I just thought it would be great since there are so many apps I don't buy because they have little to no reviews.

6. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

But that really is what the lite versions are for. If developers are creating a full app, it isn't that difficult to remove features/levels to tempt folks to buy the full version.

7. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

The issue with lite apps is that if you like it; you lose all your data when you buy the full versions. This happens a lot with game apps.

8. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a reason the poll percentages don't add to 100%?

9. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

A Developer defined Trial period would be better.

Thinking in the order of 24hours for most apps, maybe shorter for games, if delete within that time frame you get a refund. For credit card accounts they could delay charging till after that.

For free apps, only downloads that survive the trail period should be counted as "sales".

Still they should do something to make the store more descriptive.

10. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

That's interesting, but it seems a challenge because Apple waits a week before charging your card.

11. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

So they already have a big time window to stop the transaction happening, if you delete.

12. Vizin, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  13. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I'm sorry, but this sounds more like a developer complaint than an Apple complaint.

I believe I have purchased "lite" versions of apps and then upgraded without losing data.

Developers are the ones that charge $.99...not Apple.

If a developer wants to give you a "trial" version, they can...it's a free "lite" version that can be upgraded without losing data.

14. scootaru macrumors 6502

The percentages are based on the number of votes divided by the number of people who voted. Since the poll used checkboxes instead of radio buttons, people were able to vote for more than one selection. This is also why the number of votes doesn't add up to 20.

15. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

you put the poll as a multi answer question so people can pick more than one answer.

Also i really like your idea.

And whoever was talking about the lite versions of apps, not every app has a lite version, sometimes its just a "buy it or don't have it" type of situation. but yes lite versions do solve this problem for quite a few apps

The video would be really cool too, but they would have to show the little circle thing to show where people are pressing, not that its the worst thing in the world, but i think a nice demo inside would be cool.

16. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Hmmm... I dunno, there may be a few considerations (since the Windows Phone marketplace allows for exactly this; the App Store can do something similar with DLC unlocks), mostly to do with file download size, I believe.

17. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't know WP allows this. Interesting

18. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Not sure if it should be required, but there most certainly should be the ability to do it!

19. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

This is a really good idea, I've bought a few apps which are very poor and don't work in my time. Luckily, the Apple support team are very understanding and helpful regarding these matters and refund you promptly.

Since the trial version would be the full app with a time limit on it, I was just wondering whether it'd be too easy to start pirating apps. For example, I could see Apple implementing this feature and then a new tweak popping up on Cydia which removed the time limit, so you essentially get the full app for free and can download it from Apple's lightning fast, secure servers.

20. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Pirating could happen if it's time limit. I was thinking more of a demo under the app description that stays in the App Store.

21. jgorinac macrumors newbie

How about the app is free and contains the whole app itself but is actually a trial (similar to adobe). But in order to use the whole app, you must make an in app purchase of the unlock or code?

22. iPhoneApple thread starter macrumors 6502

The issue with codes is that people can post them online. I know this used to be an issue for Pixelmator

23. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

The Amazon App Store has a browser based simulator of apps, so you can try before you buy. Not sure what the limits are, and obviously there is hardware related limitations (like messaging or camera based apps), but I thought that was an interesting way to demo something.

Yeah, I do wish every app had some kind of free version, and I’ve even suggested (to Apple) to have a trial option in the API, that does some kind of active/inactive based on a 1-5 day key.

24. jackal123uk macrumors member

This is actually very easy to do and I do it in one of my apps. All you need do is make the app full featured and free but require an In-App-Purchase to proceed past a certian point (game level perhaps). I'm sure more people are dong this too.

Edit: how is this related to iOS 6?

25. jgorinac macrumors newbie

This thread was started as a suggestion for something new in iOS 6.