Idea: Dialling on your watch but call on your phone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pinksteady, May 13, 2015.

1. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Just a little thought about something I'd really like to see in future updates:

While you can transfer a call to your phone by swiping up on the phone lock screen, what you can't do is dial the call on your wrist and have the audio go through your phone. In other words, you can't transfer a call from the watch to the phone from the watch, you have to instigate the transfer from the phone.

Why would I like this? I spend a lot of time with my phone in my pocket and headphones on. When I have headphones on, it is much more preferable to make calls using them rather than the watch, but to do that I have to use Siri on the phone through the headphones. This is ok, but I get no visual confirmation of what I'm doing. If I could use the watch to dial the number, and then send the call to my phone, I wouldn't have to get my phone out of my pocket and I wouldn't have to rely on waiting to hear from Siri whether she understood my dial request correctly.

Another way this sort of watch/phone relationship could work is when composing messages using Siri on your phone while using headphones - you could compose the message on your phone while the watch shows you what you're writing. So I could leave my phone in my pocket, use Siri to dictate using my headphones (which is more convenient than holding up my wrist) but glance at my wrist to check what I've dictated.

It would be great to see Apple enhance the watch/phone interactions in future updates.

2. Randizzledante macrumors regular

As a "take my dog on long walks while listening to music through my iPhone" kinda guy, I ran into this exact need the other day, and I could not agree more.

I don't often say this about Apple, but I am a bit perplexed as to how this feature missed 1.0. Here's to an update!

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

The whole continuity and handoff thing is still fairly new to Apple (starting last year with Yosemite and iOS 8.) So it probably wasn't ready in time for WatchOS 1.0. It's definitely something that can be added in future updates. Weither or not it's on their radar of "to do's"? who knows.

4. AppleWatchGuy macrumors member

The thing is, I don't think this will come. The whole handoff feature is based on the idea of takeover. You going to another device and taking over what you were doing.

There's no way to "Send" to another device. They would have to redo the whole handoff feature to make this work.