Idea for a site!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by geekindisguise, Dec 29, 2008.

1. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I might be making a Site for my little sis's Daycare and I am needing ideas.
    Usually school gives me great Ideas for sites, but since I am on break I can't do that!

THANKS!
    HAPPY NEW YEARS!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Who are you wanting the site to be for? The kids, the staff, the parents? Could be anything from games for the kids, play to a scheduling tool for the staff, or a web cam for parents to check on their kids with. I've seen some day cares do that last one, where the parents can login into the site and see what's going on at the daycare, pretty cool.

3. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

It would probably just have Pictures of the Kids at the DayCare
    and then have Scheduling and Prices and stuff.
    No games.
    It is more for the Parents and to advertise their Daycare a bit more.

But I was thinking of making it look Kid'ish

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

OK, and what areas are you wanting ideas on? The design and layout, or the content to have? Just trying to get a focus for the thread so people are more likely to give you relevant ideas as it's a bit open-ended as is. Also, you may want to add your answers to these questions (and previous post) to your original post as a number of people won't read the entire thread before posting.

5. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Ohh, OK!
    Just the Layout and Design.
    And a cool way to show the Photos of the Kids.

THANKS

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Here's some links for inspiration on daycare themes:
    http://www.hooverwebdesign.com/templates/daycare-web-templates.html
    http://www.websitesfordaycares.com/
    http://www.daycarewebdesigner.com/

Here's an image viewer script that has some nice transitions, though may not be great for a daycare site.

I'd personally go for a thumbnail gallery that the visitor can click on, and use decent size thumbnails so parents can identify their own kids more easily. You can also go for a slide show style, that progresses on its own and theme the page for the daycare. Kind of depends on your own skills at JavaScript or being able to find a script that meets your needs.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Do your homework here - not sure what the laws are in your area, but there may be laws against putting up pictures of minors in anything school-related without the parents' written permission.

I know this because when doing a school yearbook design a while back (this was in Texas), we had to have written opt-in permission from parents for their child's picture to even appear in a yearbook.

If you really want to be safe, I'd look into stock photos.

8. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Of course we would get Permission! :eek:
    And all the photos would be in a Gallery sort of page.