Idea for adding buttons

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lbro, Oct 9, 2010.

1. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

One thing that has really been a pain for me has been the lack of physical buttons on the iPod touch while playing games. When my fingers are using the buttons on the screen, it takes up screen space which can make playing games difficult. What if Apple made the black spaces at the top and bottom into giant buttons? It would still retain its simple look but it would have two more buttons. What do you guys think?

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Your math is flawed.

And no. Part of the salability of the iPod is its minimalistic, fully functional design. Would the business customer ever use another button? Would the game fundamentally change with one?

3. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

You mean physical buttons on both ends? At the bottom there is the home-button already. And I agree with Mr.Slippy, that would break the design completely.

After all it is a touch-device and the concept is to simulate buttons on screen.

4. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Apple needs to get over its obsession with form over function.

Nothing wrong with adding another button at the top. Going into game mode would turn both buttons into gaming controls. Simple, yet still elegant.

5. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

A better approach would be to redesign the touch. Change the proprietary docking port to a micro USB port and move it to the center left side. Then move the headphone jack to the upper left side and the volume controls to the upper right side.

Now design a controller with gaming buttons on each side, changeable battery, microSD card slot, micro USB port, headphone jack, and volume controls. To play games, just slide the touch into the controller.

6. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Sure, change all that and you have an LG Cookie or sth crappy like that.

7. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

No one says you have to buy it.

Since the touch is a Job's proclaimed gaming platform, then maximize its potential with an optional add-on accessory.

8. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

What hinders you to build a Gaming-Controller for the Dock-Connector? Why messing up the whole device just to fit for one particular purpose?

BTW: No one says you have to buy the iPt if you'd like it all different.

9. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Changing to a micro USB port and moving it to the side is not messing up the whole device.

Apple's choice and placement of ports and controls is poorly implemented. What moron puts a headphone jack on the bottom?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Though wouldn't say its moronic in any way, but a design choice. I prefer my headphone jack on the top.

12. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

On the top or the top side. On the bottom means placing the touch in your pocket upside down; which means you have to take it out of your pocket every time you want to adjust the volume.

Not elegant at all and further confirms that Jobs is all about style.

13. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

JUST NO!!!

What would be the point? So 50 or 100 gamers would have something else to complain about?

The iPod it a media device, for movies and videos, gaming has to be adapted for the touch, not the other way around.

14. lbro thread starter macrumors 6502a

lbro

Oh so there must be only 150-200 people that have an iPod touch in the entire world? I'm sorry buddy but most of the apps on the app store are games. Apple is marketing it as a gaming device isn't it?

15. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

The point is, moving and changing ports and controls should happen even if gaming didn't exist.

16. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Yeah i say just leave it alone, if you ant a gaming device with buttons, get a psp.

But maybe change those areas around the screen into touch sensitive areas? Cause i do agree that with some games, your fingers get in the way

17. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Part of the reason of getting an iPhone is the elegant and simplistic aesthetic. For most people, if they wanted a device cluttered with buttons, they'd have chosen a different phone.

18. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

that may be true, but the ipod touch started out as a business/media device. not originally intended as a gaming device.

the games that are designed should take advantage of the touch screen and other inputs such as the 3 axis controller, if you want buttons, buy sony or nintendo. the ipod is all about the touch and gestures for games.

19. tafelkleed12 macrumors newbie

I don't play much games coz the battery drans quickly . In the end
    ipod touch is a music player :p. If i play games and listen to music than I have to charge my ipod everyday! Rather have a slick design then some ugly buttons :cool:

20. lbro thread starter macrumors 6502a

lbro

The button's wouldn't be ugly because you wouldn't be able to see them. You would just press on it like a trackpad and the whole thing would depress a little.

21. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Where do you want to place them? On the bottom there is the home button and on the top there is the front facing cam. Idon't see much room on either side.

Maybe they could place them on the back-side. However, I don't think the iPt lacks buttons, what it needs more is a kind of controller which is impossible to implement in hardware without cluttering the whole design.

22. lbro thread starter macrumors 6502a

lbro

Only the corners would be able to press in. The camera would stay in the same place.

23. tafelkleed12 macrumors newbie

o_O so at 2 corners u will see a square edge??? that will be ugly :rolleyes:

24. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

It's already ugly.

25. lbro thread starter macrumors 6502a

lbro

Okay you obviously don't get what I mean. Nothing would change except that the corners would be able to be pushed in like a trackpad. It would still look exactly the same.