Idea for App screen arranging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needles27, Jan 12, 2009.

1. needles27 macrumors newbie

Sometimes arranging the apps seems like one of those old puzzle games. What if iTunes had a mode where you could move your apps around on your "virtual iPhone" (maybe with all 9 screen areas visible so you can drag and drop) and then when you next sync, it will change them on your iPhone? Do you think that could work?

2. Lamplighter77 macrumors member

Someone has had that idea on this forum before. I agree it would be cool.

3. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I like the idea, but I think a more simple way would be if they gave you the ability to list the titles of the apps in the order you would like them to appear on the phone. Sort of like rearranging the sync list.

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Would it be feasible to implement it? Yes.

Will they? No.

Why not? Because not enough people would use the feature to justify the development expense.

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I imagine some sort of 'spring-loaded folders' approach will be used.

Each folder will contain up to 9 apps (much to the chagrin of many users here) and will "pop-up" over the existing black main menu. They will appear amongst the other apps, and will have simply a folder icon you can name whatever you like. You add apps by dragging them into the folder from the main dash, and remove them by opening the folder and dragging the app off the edge.

That's my prediction, IF they ever choose to expand the app limit (which they very well may not).

6. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Home screen dragging.

View changes to something akin to changing pages in mobile Safari, except with dragging ability.

Maybe PLEASE I BEG YOU?!:D:D:D:(:(:eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:

7. needles27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't you think that everyone with lots of Apps would arrange their pages on iTunes vs. on the actual iPhone?

8. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

No. It's really not that hard to do it on your phone. A little annoying, and yes it isn't a bad idea. But like he is trying to say (or I think) is that there isn't much interest in this idea compared to others.

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It's the kind of thing that might get implemented if some VP or higher decided they wanted this, hang the expense. This has happened with me a couple of times ... we once even had to implement a couple of features that our VP's wife thought she wanted.

10. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i suggested the arranging in itunes a while back but i agree itll never happen, apple is too focused on developing iphone stuff like push, mms and cut n pa... oops nevermind im thinking of another company

11. honeytoast macrumors regular

12. siorai macrumors 6502

Wrong. It has nothing to do with the number of people that would want the feature. It also has nothing to do with development costs. Apple won't change it because they always make the perfect UI. There's no need to change it ever because since they made it, it is perfection. They are in the business of knowing this stuff. What would a lowly user ever actually know about useful UI design anyways? ;)

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

:D

Well... yeah. (Same here, BTW. Definitely been on projects like that.) But besides that...

14. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I haven't tried this but what about running VNC server on the iphone then use VNC to move stuff around. I've used VNC before to share out the phone with a friend but never tried moving icons around.