Idea for artists in iTunes and iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ross.32, Jun 16, 2007.

1. ross.32 macrumors 6502

I am one of the many people who is aggravated with the lack of decent multiple artist support in iTunes and I have thought of a fairly simple solution which I think would work great.

For songs with only one artist, everything would stay the same (Artist, Sort Artist).

For songs with more than one artist, include a new category: Display Artist. In the Display Artist category, you would type the artist name that you want displayed for that particular song. For instance, lets take the Akon and Eminem song 'Shake That.' The 'Artist' would be Akon, and the 'Display Artist' would be Akon and Eminem. In the song info, I would also add a "Artist Tab'. At the top, have the main Artist (Akon in this case) followed by the Display Artist.

After that I would have an 'Additional Artist' category. I could list Eminem here, so that this song would be accessible from the Eminem artist section also. It should be made to have support for as many "Additional Artists' as you choose. Each 'Additional Artist' could also come with a 'Sort Additional Artist' much like the Sorting tab in Song Info. This is also nice because I could have all of the D12 songs list D12 as the artist; yet fall into D12 and Eminem in the artist section.

I don't see anything like this happening anytime soon, but if I ever have a one-on-one with Steve Jobs, this will probably be the first thing that I mention to him. Please discuss.

2. rainydays macrumors 6502a

You seem to live a pretty happy and trouble free life. Congrats to you :)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have a question: when you list the additional artists for D12, do you enter in five names, or 11? :confused: :D

4. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes life is good I cannot complain one bit. Lol never thought about...going with all