Idea for Filling in Missing Artwork in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i.shaun, Sep 27, 2009.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Some of us have missing artwork for songs, and some of them may not even have actual artwork to append to it. If the iTunes store can't find artwork, or you can't find the appropiate artwork on Google, there is another way.

Using http://glowtxt.com/ You can create text based images for use as album artwork. I did almost my entire library like this so that there are no missing artwork fields. If one song from an artist had no artwork, I replaced every album with the same image so it looks more uniform.

It looks much better on the ipod, and makes more sense to me than separate CD covers for each album. Now when I listen to a song on the iTouch, you simply look at it, no matter what song or album, and you'll see the artwork in the background which says the Artist's name.

It's just a suggestion, It won't work if you prefer to keep all original album artwork to each and every album. Here's an example of how it looks:

Picture 1.png

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

It's a quick and simple idea, anyone with photoshop can make some custom artwork for their favorite artists and stuff. I would like to create my own cd of my favorite tracks and use my own artwork for it as a compilation.

But I like having all the correct information. I am tracking down the track numbers and release dates and of course that is when I get my album artwork. Two years ago when I re-did my library, I just wanted album art so I got album art for cds that those songs weren't even on (but they were from another cd released by the same artist).

I kick myself now for doing that because I have a lot of cleaning up to do (I have 1800 songs left to fix!).

Again, it's a good idea if you just want to be able to use cover flow in a clean manner.

3. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Photoshop, paint, liveQuartz, almost any image editing program can be used, but I prefer the website I linked to. Type in text, select a font, and it generates it for you. Click and drag to the desktop, and re-name. You can also save it to iTunes and delete, but I prefer to keep them handy for future use. An example would be: Artist releases new CD, I could append the same artwork to the new CD so they all have the same artwork.

Photoshop would have been a tedious task, the text generator made it much easier.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I never depend on iTunes to find artwork for me. I prefer higher-quality artwork than iTunes will automatically download. Rather than some "home made" artwork, you can simply manually add high-quality art from sites like Album Art Exchange and many others. A simple Google search will usually turn up any artwork you want, in reasonably high quality.

5. Rusalka macrumors regular

Rusalka

Great post, OP! I do have photoshop, but don't know how to use it, so this is much easier for me :)

I was thinking about this the first few days after I got my new ipod, but eventually became too lazy to do anything about it

But this is good for people who like to lump single songs under the title "Various Artists"

6. tmofee macrumors regular

I usually get from itunes, then copy and paste properly into the mp3 file itself. If it's not there, it's a quick google image search. There's only been a handful of Australian bands I haven't been able to find yet. I know it'll take ages and it's a loong process, but when I have some spare time, I sit down and grab a letter and go crazy. Ask me again in a year ;)

7. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I usually still have the artists labeled in iTunes, but for the artwork I just put something that says "Various Artists". I also use a question mark for the songs that just don't have an artist that I know of. I have about 10 of those, mostly video game theme songs that are done with guitar/drum sounds (as if it's a rock song).

8. Dorde macrumors newbie

For random songs that don't have artwork I just throw them into one big "mixtape" that I made a cover for in Photoshop, everything else has original artwork, cool idea though...