Idea for future of iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bodhi395, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I had an idea for the future of the iphone and other mac notebook computers. I think as the iphone gets more powerful in the future, apple should simply make a notebook casing that the iphone would dock into. It would be simply a notebook with a screen, keyboard, disc drive(maybe, although apple seems to want to phase them out), ports, and maybe and extra hard/flash drive. Yet there would be no computer inside it, you'd simply plug your iphone into it and that would be your computer. Since I'd guess in a few years the iphone would be fairly powerful, you could simply run everything off it. You also wouldn't have to sync your iphone anymore, since it would become your main computer. I would gladly ditch my macbook and simply consolidate everything into my iphone and one of these docking casings(or whatever catchy name Apple would come up with for them, maybe iDock?)

This would eliminate the main problems with using your iphone as your main computer. You'd have a nice size screen and a full keyboard. I'm sure apps could be made in the future so that they would either run on the iphone screen or switch to running on a full size screen. You could also get texts and make calls even when the iphone is docked. It would also be alot cheaper I'm sure to have this dock instead of buying an entirely new computer. Another huge benefit... you could always run your internet off the 3g network, which you can not do now with any mac computer.

This would require alot of things to be worked out of course and probably couldn't happen until a few years into the future, but I think Apple should consider going in this direction.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So... a DuoDock, but a step down by an order of magnitude?

Yeah, it won't happen. Nice idea, though; some company already mocked it up.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Lots of Windows Mobile smartphones are already pretty much doing this over USB or Bluetooth with the Redfly dumb terminal (link here).

The Redfly gives a larger screen, keyboard, mousepad, and even video out.

My stepson uses his during his official travels, and at his office, with his HTC Touch Pro.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So you want Apple to release a product that will cannibalize their notebook sales. ROFLMAO HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...
    thanks for making me laugh.

Don

5. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I could see them doing this to make some sort of net-book... but it wouldn't replace the actual MacBook line.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Steve has said no netbooks.

That market belongs to Dell, Gateway, and HP.

Don