Idea for iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mactrillionaire, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

I don't mind the iOS keyboard too much, but sometimes I have to type out lengthy passages or play games with controls that are challenging to master with touch controls. I know Apple is picky with what devices they allow to be directly used with iOS, and I can understand that pickiness, so I thought of an idea that would bypass the issue of expensive iOS hardware development: iTunes Keyboard (for all iOS devices). Just add a tab to iTunes where we can connect an iOS device via USB to and then control the iOS device with whatever keyboard the system it is attached to is using. Also, provide an option so that joysticks attached to the system can control games running on iOS devices. The only thing that would make all of this even better is if all iOS devices had a kickstand and could be controlled via bluetooth from a Mac keyboard or joystick attached to a Mac. In this way, iOS devices could gain credibility for people who have to type a lot and for serious gamers, two segments who seem to be more reluctant to purchase iOS devices at present.

2. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

So you want a extension to type better on an iPhone and to play games on an iPhone better.

I believe there some type of controller they can make that plugs into the 30pin connector and it hugs to the shape of the iPhone and has a joystick and buttons just like the PSP.

Bluetooth keyboard would be nice if they make it work.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Want to know why? Because Apple thinks their customers don't know what they want. Apple wants to be the parent and show you that this is the best way and no other ideas from us would matter.

I don't mind. Apple seems to do things perfect with design, new revisions, and great features.

They know what they are doing. They don't need our help is the reason they don't want our ideas.

5. Mactrillionaire thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I don't think Apple doesn't want ideas. It's just that a lot of ideas are not well thought out so, to them, in many cases (unless it is a really good idea), sifting through all of the ideas is more aggravation than Apple really wants to deal with. It's akin to panning for gold in a busy river (i.e., lots of dirt and unwanted things, but little gold).

6. Mactrillionaire thread starter macrumors regular

Mainly they don't want to deal with people who give them an idea and later decide to sue them when they release a product that appears to implement the idea. Generally, if you give them an idea gratis, with no expectation of anything in return for the idea and full permission for Apple to do what they want with it, they have no issue with your submission of the idea. If they are going to have to deal with the aggravation of people wanting to offer suggestions, but having an ulterior motivation, they REALLY do not want to deal with that at all. Basically, if you have an excellent idea and have a reasonable expectation of some leverage, you either develop it on your own or reach an agreement with the party you are going to offer the idea to BEFORE offering it. I know it seems like common sense, but it isn't so common.

7. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

hmm ...

in the same article it says:

PRODUCT FEEDBACK
    Apple does, however, welcome your feedback regarding many areas of Apple’s existing business. If you want to send us your feedback, and we hope you do, we simply request that you send it to us using the form found at http://www.apple.com/contact, or you can choose from the many other listed areas for your feedback. Please provide only specific feedback on Apple’s existing products or marketing strategies; do not include any ideas that Apple’s policy will not permit it to accept or consider. It’s just one more way that Apple can learn how to best satisfy your needs.

8. Mactrillionaire thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I believe there might be one controller that is approved for use with iOS devices, but the main issue is that it would be awkward to use an attached controller with an iOS device because of two reasons: Changing your own position that you are holding the controller in can result in tugging and distraction from the game and because the 30-pin connector is at the bottom of the iOS device which is not a suitable position to play all games from.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Yes, Feeback. As in "X works really well, thanks" or "Y doesn't seem to work very well".

The bit I've marked in bold reinforces what I linked to.

10. Mactrillionaire thread starter macrumors regular

Well, every once in awhile Apple needs some help with new ideas (especially when there are obvious shortcomings in existing products that they have not addressed in other ways). Apple wants mainly the good ideas that are going to also be significantly profitable for them. Thus, they would probably only consider the idea in this thread if they genuinely thought implementing it would make iOS devices significantly more appealing to groups that were previously reluctant to buy an iOS device for a given primary purpose the idea addresses.

11. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i am unaware of any method, other the the feedback route, to communicate ideas to Apple.

12. jamied95 macrumors 6502

They probably don't even check the inbox ;) they do what they want to do, not what the customer wants them to do :rolleyes:

13. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Thats Apple! Lol, Apple believes we don't have the right minds to help them. They are own their own with ideas because they know what we want in the end.