Idea for MacBook Pro design change

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mzlin, Apr 13, 2010.

1. mzlin macrumors member

I got an iMac recently and really like how the glass front wraps all the way from side-to-side except for the aluminum base that reaches all the way across the bottom. To me this was a big improvement over both the previous iMac and the all-glass fronts of the 24" LED display.

This got me thinking that the same design concept of having a small horizontal aluminum base supporting wraparound glass could be applied to the laptops with acceptable results. My crude mockup is below. What do you people think?

Personally I've never liked the all-black all-glass bezel of the unibody MacBooks as it seems aesthetically incongruous with the aluminum base. I got the matte option on my MBP partly because of this. It's also bugged me that the MacBook/MBP screen assemblies have extra extensions at the bottom corners that go lower than the screen bezel. This is to keep the bezel the same width all the way around the screen while sitting above the hinge, but the screen assembly has to drop to the bottom of the hinge so the lid can cover the whole computer when closed. The result is that each of the lower corners actually show two rounded corners – one from the bezel and one from the screen assemblies.

Replacing the bottom bezel/frame area with an aluminum base as in the iMacs might solve the above problems. It would make the screen seem more integrated with the rest of the computer design while solving the issue of how to deal with the bottom corners. It would also unify design cues across the all-in-one and portable lines.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. rk1991 macrumors regular

it looks pretty cool
    you should email it over to jobs..apparently he actually reads his emails so he might actually implement this and you will be famous ;)
    Maybe not famous in person but on macrumors.

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Not a fan of glossy or glassy displays but your mockup looks good!

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I like that. I find the current design to be an inch away from amazing, but a mile away from tolerable. I hope Apple does that next, as it's a very slick design.

6. mzlin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Emailed Jobs yesterday, but think I'm unlikely to hear back. Historically, Apple has had a very defensive legal posture regarding suggestions; I think they are afraid of getting sued for idea theft. I am actually hoping the Apple designers have already thought of the idea.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

It's an interesting idea, and I think it helps unify the design with that of the iMac. It also looks good.

I'm wondering if Steve Jobs could act on this even if he loves it. I can't help but think it's like record companies receiving unsolicited material. In other words for all Apple might open itself to legal action if they used your idea without compensation... who knows?

At any rate, really nice mockup.

8. tandeh macrumors regular

just give them written permission ;), anyways they may already have a patent on it because of the Imac.

9. jwhazel macrumors regular

The problem is that the wifi card/antennas sit in that exact spot due to being one of the few places on the laptop that is surrounded by plastic and therefore are able to get radio signal. While I can't see if you've left the clutch cover in tact on these photos, it looks like your pretty much killing the wifi signal.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Why you would give the notebook a chin is beyond me.

The chin needs to die on the iMac ;)

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't really like it, but good work on the mockup.

12. chopper dave macrumors regular

Better yet, anodize the whole thing black so everything matches.

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

This looks much better - I've often thought it myself, Apple really did miss a trick here.

Just all comes together so well.