Idea for waterproofing

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by scrappledog, Jun 29, 2012.

1. scrappledog macrumors member

So the problem with Lifeproof-type cases is that it numbs the touchscreen capability a bit, and the problem with services/sprays like Liquipel is ... well, they don't often work as promised, at least when you fully submerge the phone for anything more than an instant.

I was staring at the Speck case I have, noticing the rubberized edges around the screen and I thought ... why not make a hybrid case that is as waterproof as something like a Lifeproof -- only in lieu of a plastic layer between you and your screen -- there is none. The front opening would be tight, flush against the glass and adhered with something like silicon. Obviously something that would scrape off if needed -- and maybe this is a specialized enough that, like Liquipel, whoever sells the cases is the one who seals them. This way you'd have full access to the glass, and everything else would be waterproof, too.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

2. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

That's tough cause the home button and speaker grill are still exposed. I dont think I'd trust anything to waterproof my phone unless it was a completely sealed unit!

3. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

While that is an interesting idea, i dont know if it is really possible. I think that Ray- from lifeinplastiq has a good point but after testing the lifeproof case and using it at the beach, ideas like what scrappledog is talking about is the future of iPhone casing. great idea scrappledog. I like the post.

4. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

I almost did a facepalm realizing I hadn't taken into account the button and the speaker opening, but maybe those could be accounted for in my hypo with the case extending over those parts but not the glass. It's just a shame to lose the functionality of the glass -- which is by its own nature waterproof. I realize a lot of people think, hey, just be more careful with your iPhone -- but when you have kids under 3, you never know when you might have to rush into a pool or whatever to fish one out. Things happen.

What I seek long-term, whether with this 4S or a future model, is the most waterproofing possible with the least compromise of phone functionality.