[Idea] Here is how cellphone plans should work...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jun 6, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

The iPad has a cool plan. You buy 2 GB of data for $20. When the 2GB runs out, you automatically get another 2 GB and get charged $20. No monthly caps, no overages, AT&T still gets a lot of money, but the customer no longer gets screwed over because he went online on the 30th of the month rather than waiting until the 1st of next month.

That's how everything should be on cellphones.

You shouldn't get alloted 1000 minutes a month arbitrarily. You should instead buy 1000 minutes for $30, when the minutes run out you get charged again. It's a better system. You still get a 2 year contract from AT&T and if AT&T insists, you don't get released till you used 24 cycles with them for voice atleast.

But I think it would still be better than to have to worry about overages, constantly logging online to check how many megabytes of data you have left or when the next billing cycle starts.

What do you guys think?

If that wouldn't be profitable for AT&T, they should at the very least offer rollover data to build customer loyalty/give a big incentive to retain their customers even after Verizon gets the iPhone...

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Perfectly reasonable, but isn't this what happens now with pay as you go plans?

3. noobinator macrumors 601

That's fine and dandy for the consumer but this is about $$ flow for the providers. They don't want you to use all your minutes. Charge you more than you can use and they profit.

4. Majakat macrumors member

What would be even cooler is rollover data

If i am on the 2GB plan I would love to be able to have data rollover to a max of something, say 10GB, so when i take vacation once a year or something and cannot use my home wireless I do not have to worry about overages.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I can't remember the last time I went over on voice. What I wish is that, if they are going to go the tiered data route that they offer up decent tiers. I use more than 200MBs but considerably less than 2GB. But there is nothing in between. How about a 750MB plan for $20.

6. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

7. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

That's EXACTLY the way monthly prepaid plans work on both voice and data.

8. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

They have that....it's called prepaid.

Rollover would be better.

9. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Reread the OP, clearly, I talk about how you would still get phones subsidized and sign contract with AT&T, only the contracts would be for 18 cycles rather than for 18 months.

Prepaid sucks. None of the phones are subsidized with prepaid plans, and they rare overpriced crappy phones to boot.

10. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Yeah!

This piece of crap iPhone sucks! ;)

11. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I'm sorry, how exactly do you get an iPhone subsidized if you go the Prepaid route?

Here's a feature I'm surprised Apple still hasn't implemented given their purchase of Siri.

Using Voice Controls to do everything on your phone.

I should be able to say, "Open iBook Winne the Pooh" and it should open that book.

Likewise, if you say "Check my email" it should open the email app and refresh it to get the latest emails.

If I say buy iPhone App Shazam, it should take me to the App Store to the Shazam app.

I hope this finds its way into iOS 5, alongside a 4.3 inch screen for the new iPhone.