Idea I am playing with, thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thepf, Feb 22, 2011.

  1. thepf macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2011
    #1
    I bought a high end 15inch nearly 2 weeks ago, so I am still under my return period. I convinced myself I was happy with it, which to be honest I perfectly am, I view yearly, or even bi-yearly updates of notebooks as an extravagance, and I dont believe tech moves on enough to warrant it, as opposed to iPhones or iPads. However the only rumour floating around that has got me interested is the proposed "bigger trackpads", while this is all ambiguous and some outlets even suggesting a 16:9 touchpad (how this would work I am not even sure, ergonomically anyway), and with it being already stated that Lion will be even more gesture focused, it seems like a logical extension. Spec bumps don't bother me as much, because i currently have an i5 with a 7200 rpm hardrive and a hi res screen.

    So if the rumours are true, I will be returning my current Macbook Pro, and I will have £1700 to play with, and now to my post title, would you consider it money more well spent to purchase a decent spec Macbook Pro with the cash or to instead get a 13inch Pro and an iPad. I know this is a long post for such a superficial question but its something I am interested in hearing opinions on, as I am trying to figure weather the extra screen space and processor power is worth what an iPad could offer.
    Thank you for reading :)
     
  2. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #2
    Meh. I'd just keep the computer and enjoy it. I doubt we will see bigger trackpads, and I'm not sure we'll see some mind-blowing improvement on the current model.
     
  3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

    Apple OC

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    Location:
    Hogtown
    #3
    return it tomorrow and see what Thursday brings ... if you go past the 14 days you may regret keeping it.

    Never buy a new MBP 10 days before they refresh them.
     
  4. kitzuki macrumors regular

    kitzuki

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    #4
    Why not keep it and save for the iPad dos

    Or return it wait to see what happens on Thursday then make you decision
     
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #5
    Why would you want an even BIGGER trackpad? :confused: I don't use my entire trackpad as it is.


    Keep what you have, because getting an updated 15" MBP with larger trackpad (if that rumour is even true...) isn't worth the hassle, and a 13" MBP + iPad is a serious downgrade of computer. I'd rather get the 13" MBA than the MBP, if only for the screen resolution.

    Or were you implying that you'd wait for the 13" MBP to be released, and then buy the 13" MBP and iPad?
     
  6. vincenz macrumors 601

    vincenz

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    #6
    You know what it sounds like? Sounds like you're perfectly happy with your current Mbp and are just a little restless. You might as well just save up for the new iPad or iPhone.
     
  7. thepf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2011
    #7
    That just made me smile a little, and its weird how someone over the internet can actually give a pretty accurate character estimation, you are probably right.

    And to a poster a few up, I don't know, since I got my Macbook Pro, I found the real revelation, apart from OSx obviously, to be the track pad and gestures, I just think there is so much potential with the technology.

    And to another previous poster (i know, I am a lazy arse to not just quote), yes, I am talking about the refresh 13inch.
     
  8. hushmartin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Location:
    Kansas
    #8
    I would return and wait for the update. For one, the light peak thing sounds really promising and if it's true, it could be very nice to have. If the OS ssd rumor is true, that's a good reason. I hate waiting on the computer to start up.

    Plus, I just hate being stuck with an old model right when a brand new model is coming out...especially when they are the *exact* same price.
     

Share This Page