iDea: iPad as secondary display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Icaras, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I was just thinking of the iPad as it's docked and sitting next to your imac or display. Wouldn't it be nice if Apple enabled the iPad to double as a secondary display to your machine?

I know some professionals prefer to rotate their displays in portrait mode, and I think such a setup might actually be quite useful.

Though I'm not sure of bandwidth limitations of outputting video through the dock connector. Regardless, I'm pretty sure 99.9% Apple would never do this, but I thought it was fun to imagine possibilities.

It would, at the very least, give the illusion that the iPad is running OSX instead of the iPhone OS :D

2. macduke Suspended

macduke

I've said it in other threads--I think the iPad will make a great thin client for VNC, etc. There's your full OS X on the iPad.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

One of the most exciting rumors before launch was the speculation that it would be able to beurilised as a multi touch display to your existing mac. Sadly it looks like not this generation. A shame.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Can you and the OP clarify multitouch display? Are you wanting the whole screen repeated? (Kind of dual control of the desktop)? Or use it as a mouse (and therefore have no display...)
    I'd say it would be possible through an App. Look at AirMouse, the Logitech app etc.

5. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Yes, i remember this rumor. But yea, through future revisions, firmware and software updates, I think anything is possible. Whether or not Apple wants to implement said feature though, I highly doubt it. :(

Thats what MacRumorUser is implying I believe, but my original idea was just an extended desktop function. Simply expanding desktop area with the iPad's display and not necessarily using it's multi-touch capabilities basically.

6. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

The concept isn't impossible at least, there are a fair few USB displays out there.

It'd be a better use of the ipad when docked than some generic "charging" screen

7. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

all it has right now is the photo album screen...

...give us at least an rss reader wallpaper or something.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Basically an additional screen either mirrored or dual display.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that would be extremely cool! and you can take your iPad anywhere around the house and still see its part of the screen.. etc. screen recycler would do that im sure?

what about using your ipad for drawing/writing/typing/moving mouse? basically like a massive touchpad i guess. :)

10. MikhailT macrumors 601

I don't think it'll be possible to have iPad extend the display from your iMac without the OS X supporting it. I still don't think it'll work well. Mac OS X isn't made to be navigated with your fingers. So just like the windows tablet, it's not going to be a nice experience.

However, iPad would make an excellent thin client, I am absolutely sure there'll be an application to support this as there are some basic VNC applications now for the iPhone. Since iPad has the WiFi N support, it should be really fast.

Even if iPad could support it, I wouldn't use it. iPad applications will be taking full advantage of the iPad hardware to show data. I rather use iPad as a second computer than a display next to my MBP. Use the iPad as a data consumption display while you use the main computer to create data.

I'm not raising my expectations, but in my mind, I could see my main computer being used for a coding session with no distractions, nothing running other than the IDE. The iPad next to me will be the notification center with several PDFs as well as an application for reference manual lookup that's just easy to use with your fingers. No stress, just some fun navigating around taking a short break from your coding. So once I'm done, i'll just go back to where I left off on my main system.

11. GadgetX macrumors regular

I would love to have the iPad do something like that, and I would not say it's completely out of the question. I've actually looked into buying one of those external 7-12" monitors. It would be perfect to keep chats open and such while I'm doing other things on my computer.

12. aerospace macrumors 6502a

How about your iPhone acting as controller for the ipad on games

13. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to move a window remotely off your computer straight to the iPad, using the Bluetooth mouse? It would have to be a compatible program like iWork or a Safari window.

Straight out of Avatar

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Shouldn't be a problem. Strip out the OS. Replace the dock connector with a standard USB port, Throw in a stand, the Displaylink Software, and a prayer, and you might have what you could buy for under $200 right now. Should work with macs or PCs. :D

15. Xenious macrumors 6502a

oh yea!

Thin client would be ok but I really want it as a 3rd display or multi touch input panel + display. Imagine a whole bank of faders and knobs to mix a song or use as a remote transport in Logic. That would be fantastic in my home studio.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think thats what the OP was aiming for maybe. very cool idea! :D

HA! that would be super hard to do, but sooo sexy and cool

:rolleyes: lol

17. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

I would be more interested in a user customizable keyboard/trackpad hybrid to use in the ipad as an interface to the mac. Sure an external display would be handy too, but you can vnc anything to it, so that will happen in a sense, it's already there on the iphone.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

so it already exists on ipad technically :D logmein.com has a pretty good implementation for the iphone. hopefuolly they will also do it for the ipad. id pay for that!

19. silkyjohnson macrumors newbie

Any chance(or rumors) that the iPad can be used as an extra monitor?

Has anyone heard anything of the sort, or think it may be possible to use the iPad as an extra monitor for say a MacBook Pro?

That would just be the bee'z kneez and it would definitely justify me purchasing the item.

The thing is I loved my iPhone, but I lost it a few months back... I made the switch to Verizon, so I'm not planning to purchase another iPhone any time soon.... I was thinking of getting an iPod Touch to satisfy my iPhone craving while I wait for Big Red to get an iPhone if it ever does.

Anyway, my Macbook Pro has replaced my Gateway dual-monitor desktop as my computer of choice. Mainly because it's portable and I just can't get any school work done at home if my life depended on it (I always find a way to distract myself). I always need to be somewhere else like at the library, a coffee shop, computer lab or what have you.

The thing I miss about using my PC is the dual monitors. Whether I can look at two files and reference them back and forth without having to switch windows or "Spaces". I also like to stream live sports like Euro soccer, basketball, boxing, etc. while I'm working on my assignments. An extra monitor would really come in handy for me.

I'm pretty set on buying an iPod Touch but if the iPad has that functionality I'm looking for, I'm thinking it might be worth the extra benjamin or two to upgrade to it.

Any chance the iPad may be able to do that? Even if it means jailbreaking it?
    ----------------------

Edit: I just noticed that there's a similar thread just a few spots down... so sorry, I apologize. I searched for monitor and the only thing that came out was a few months old. My bad. Please merge or delete, thanks!

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple is likely to open up for display out - the SDK suggests that this will be used for Business use as a way to export the screen (mirror) and also be able to use as secondary duplay for presentations, and possibly movies.

The ability to hook up to a HDTV, or a projector, or wifi a presentation = big concepts.

21. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

It would have been great if the iPad could have doubled as a 10" input device for the Mac, similar to the Wacom Cintiq. No luck, though.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I agree. That would be very cool

23. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

That's what I said, why is that an impossibility?

24. MikhailT macrumors 601

The multi-touch screen that Apple uses doesn't work well with a stylus, it's not precise enough and it's not pressure sensitive. It's designed for fingers. I have seen some research trying to develop pressure sensors for the multi-touch, but it's a few years away.

25. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Oh, I see, thanks for explaining that to me. What exactly are the pressure sensors used for in a wacom, imitating a stronger brush stroke say?