Idea: Release Lottery

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
What do you think about the idea to copy the idea of WWDC ticket lottery to the iPhone release?

I think it would be very unfair. First come - first served worked perfect for ten years now.

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Nope. First come. First served. If its important enough people will buy their phones outright and at 3:01am. Why shouldn't people who order first get their phones first?

Reactions: lancastor

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
Yeah CNET had a whole article on this today:

F4FADF6F-4D13-474D-B15C-047DB0082F5F.jpeg

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/preordering-is-broken-and-heres-how-to-fix-it-iphone-x/
[doublepost=1509271533][/doublepost]
Nope. First come. First served. If its important enough people will buy their phones outright and at 3:01am. Why shouldn't people who order first get their phones first?
It wasn’t first come first served though.
I was refreshing the app from 10 minutes before, and didn’t get in until 8 minutes past.
I was lucky to get launch day, but it was nothing to do with ‘first come’. Plenty of stories of husbands/wives RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER and one getting in to the app 5, 10, even 15 minutes after the other.

Reactions: ACoupe24

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Apple uses the WWDC lottery because many people were unable to get tickets, where as in the iPhone case. If you have the money (or credit), you can buy the iPhone. There is no need for a lottery. True you may not get it on day 1, but seriously people seem so worked up about waiting a few weeks over a phone. Its largely going to work like the iPhone you have now, so waiting a little longer won't be a hardship.

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Terrible idea - because the iPhone preorder is basically already a lottery. Some people can’t get in early enough, some people can. I’ve never had a problem getting in and getting my phone on launch day so I may go buy a powerball ticket now.