Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I've got some dough I'm looking to spend on something.

I'm thinking about keeping my late 2013 rMBP for regular use such as email, firefox, iMessages, Microsoft Word, and so on.

And using my new 2016 base MacBook Pro solely as a YouTube music player for trap, EDM, electronic, and house music. I connect it to a bluetooth speaker and let the music play all day. I love it.

What do you think about this setup?

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If that's all you want it for, seems a MacBook would do. Or just about any other device that connects to the internet.

Well I need a retina screen. I got a chromebook for this use a few weeks ago for like 150 but it was crap. Then I forgot about the idea.

but now I've been still using my 2013 for a lot of stuff, and been playing a lot of music on my new MacBook pro, and I LOVE IT.

So I'm thinking maybe I could use this new MacBook instead of the Chromebook?

Is there another computer with the same screen that could be used for this? I guess Macbook. Not macbook air.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Well I need a retina screen. I got a chromebook for this use a few weeks ago for like 150 but it was crap. Then I forgot about the idea.

but now I've been still using my 2013 for a lot of stuff, and been playing a lot of music on my new MacBook pro, and I LOVE IT.

So I'm thinking maybe I could use this new MacBook instead of the Chromebook?

Is there another computer with the same screen that could be used for this? I guess Macbook. Not macbook air.

You don't need to buy a $2500+ laptop to be a YouTube player. Buy an iPad or something. An iPad Pro has the screen you want, and it plays videos fine with long battery life.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
You don't need to buy a $2500+ laptop to be a YouTube player. Buy an iPad or something. An iPad Pro has the screen you want, and it plays videos fine with long battery life.

True, but htis was 1500 not 2500. I don't want an iPad bc touch screen. I would liek a keyboard and trackpad

Mac2c

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2017
Honestly if you have so much money kicking around and you don't care, go for it, but seriously you're just using very basic things like youtube, and for listening to music, I personally would not buy or spend above $500 for just this purpose.

I would just keep your rMBP and use that for all your video and music needs. Save your money and go on a trip lol

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Honestly if you have so much money kicking around and you don't care, go for it, but seriously you're just using very basic things like youtube, and for listening to music, I personally would not buy or spend above $500 for just this purpose.

I would just keep your rMBP and use that for all your video and music needs. Save your money and go on a trip lol

Yeah I honestly would feel kind of guilty doing that. But I REALLY REALLY want to lol.

It's awesome watching the music videos on youtube. It's AWESOME. And this thing is so light I can move it around wherever. The space grey color is divine with that futuristic keyboard lighting.

This new MacBook is SCREAMING Disc Jockey lol

Shanmango

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2017
I would suggest getting a maxed out 2016 MacBook Pro 2016.

You’ll need the 2 TB storage to store all the amazing music that you’ll be listening to.

Also, the bigger screen will make your music videos just that much better. The screen is also higher resolution.

The AMD Radeon Pro 460 and the quad core processor will ensure that the 4K music videos and stream speed will be flawless for the best experience.

Use your 13 inch MacBook Pro as a clock in your kitchen or something.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I would suggest getting a maxed out 2016 MacBook Pro 2016.

You’ll need the 2 TB storage to store all the amazing music that you’ll be listening to.

Also, the bigger screen will make your music videos just that much better. The screen is also higher resolution.

The AMD Radeon Pro 460 and the quad core processor will ensure that the 4K music videos and stream speed will be flawless for the best experience.

Use your 13 inch MacBook Pro as a clock in your kitchen or something.

Lol a clock??

Come on man you get a clock for 10 bucks!

Olganech

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
I'm thinking about keeping my late 2013 rMBP for regular use such as email, firefox, iMessages, Microsoft Word, and so on.

And using my new 2016 base MacBook Pro solely as a YouTube music player for trap, EDM, electronic, and house music. I connect it to a bluetooth speaker and let the music play all day. I love it.

What do you think about this setup?

EDIT: Or should I consider a MacBook instead?

You need a $10,000 amp and a $100,000 surround sound speaker system to get the best out of those 4k YouTube video.

lol

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Yeah I'm in a similar situation, I'm currently thinking of buying a maxed out Mac Pro with 16 TB of RAID storage, connecting it to one of those gorgeous 5K screens, opening a blank page in Safari and using it as a freakin desk lamp.

This thread in a nut shell. Although, if you have the money and want it, by all means the OP should go for it. I wish I had that kind of money lying around to buy a new MBP just for music though. :p

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
This thread in a nut shell. Although, if you have the money and want it, by all means the OP should go for it. I wish I had that kind of money lying around to buy a new MBP just for music though. :p

Like I've been saying I wanted to spend some dough and where better than the Apple Store lol I mean I could spent it on a vacation or new clothes but I mean Apple rocks
[doublepost=1489777947][/doublepost]
I can't tell if the OP is just trolling us or showing off. I wish I had $1,500 I could literally light on fire like this....

Such a waste

I mean I want to spent some dough. What would be better than an Apple product?

I mean a vacay would be nice sure but it's only for a week maybe then it's over. Plus I'm not the travel type tbh

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
Like I've been saying I wanted to spend some dough and where better than the Apple Store lol I mean I could spent it on a vacation or new clothes but I mean Apple rocks

I mean a vacay would be nice sure but it's only for a week maybe then it's over. Plus I'm not the travel type tbh

You seem to have your mind made up - enjoy

Reactions: Hieveryone

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Like can anyone explain why this is so wrong?

Music keeps me happy. Helps my mood during the day and helps me fall asleep at night.

It's like therapy for me.

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
Like can anyone explain why this is so wrong?

Music keeps me happy. Helps my mood during the day and helps me fall asleep at night.

It's like therapy for me.

Well, actually I'd suggest some other kind of therapy really....

It's wrong because a $1,500 laptop just for playing music is a ridiculous set-up. If you really can't comprehend why this is so dumb, there's really nothing any of us can say to get you to understand.

Reactions: arkitect

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

You shouldn't be so obvious with the trolling

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
You shouldn't be so obvious with the trolling

I bought a freaking MacBook Pro didn't you see my review?

Then I had to return it bc the screen was flickering.

Now I'm thinking of buying a refurb on Apple.com
[doublepost=1489784458][/doublepost]
Well, actually I'd suggest some other kind of therapy really....

It's wrong because a $1,500 laptop just for playing music is a ridiculous set-up. If you really can't comprehend why this is so dumb, there's really nothing any of us can say to get you to understand.

Whatever. For me it's worth it and like I said it's better than vacation IMO bc it'll last longer and I can always sell it and get some money out of it later if I change my mind.
[doublepost=1489786320][/doublepost]Given the extreme amount of backlash, I'm not going to do it. I'll just use my current MBP.

I'll just wait and see what I do with the dough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.