Idea Thread: How to Keep Track of the Siri Remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mostlycharlie, Nov 2, 2015.

1. mostlycharlie macrumors newbie

mostlycharlie

I have three kids and hungry furniture and I've lost more Apple TV remotes than I care to admit. I'm using the remote strap to hang it from a hook near our TV. The rule is that when you're not using it, you hang it back on the hook. But I don't think that will go far enough to keep it from getting lost. So I'm thinking of attaching something big to the strap. Probably not a toilet seat, but maybe some inflatable or fuzzy doodad.

How are you planning on keeping your Siri remotes from getting lost?

2. ringo79 macrumors newbie

Too late, within 24 hours of receiving the new Apple TV my remote is gone. We've torn the living room apart looking for it. I'm fairly confident that the remote crossed over to a parallel universe. Now, unless I spend $80 I have a useless $200 brick :(

3. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

A couple of years ago I hosted a party with my friends at my place.
    Of course we all got drunk and did a lot of stupid things.

One friend, my best friend actually, took my Apple TV remote and he put it in a very old pair of shoes of mine in the closet. He totally forgot about it in the morning and he didn't tell me.
    After 2 weeks of searching and using the TV with the Remote App on my iPhone I ordered a new one.

Fast forward 8 months : my wardrobe was getting full so I packed my old clothes and shoes to donate them to the Red Cross. When I took the shoes out of the closet I felt something rattle. And surprise, surprise.. out pops my remote.

I was amazed. Had pretty good laugh.
    I started a group chat on WhatsApp with all my friends who attended the party to find the "master mind".
    Yeah, those we're the good days. :)

My Siri Remote is under the table with all my other remotes (TV / Receiver / DualShock 4 / Wii Remote / AC Remote).

4. mattDC5R macrumors member

The older apple remote is still compatible with the new model, so at least that could be a cheap alternative till you find the Siri remote. At least you'd have basic control.

5. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

When I told my wife that the new remote could shatter if dropped she suggested that we NOT allow our kids to use it and make them use the old silver one. It works fine with the new Apple TV and we don't do games yet. Furthermore, she suggested we keep the new remote in our bedroom and only bring it out when the adults are using the TV. When we are ready for bed, the remote goes back to our bedroom with us.

6. paulsdenton macrumors 6502

paulsdenton

The minute I got the device I knew losing the remote would be a problem. I might try doing what the chief engineer did at a paper mill I worked at some years ago. There was this tool that was needed to adjust part of one of the machines, and it always turned up missing. Finally he lost his temper after buying one replacement too many and had it attached to a red painted 2 foot long 2X4 board. When it still turned up missing, he had the new one attached to a FOUR foot long 2X4 red painted board. He said if it turned up missing again he'd attach it to an EIGHT foot 2X4 board. It didn't get lost again.

I don't think I'll go that far, but I do plan to screw a keychain onto a six (or so) inch 2X4 scrap of wood and I loop the remote cord into the circle where the key would go. Hopefully that will keep it harder to lose. Probably will spray paint the board red, though.

7. 2010mini macrumors 68040

seriously? How are you people losing remotes? i leave mine on the TV stand. Never lost one yet.

8. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Buy a gamepad for the kids. Less than half the price of a Siri remote and they can use the Apple TV with it and play games with it. Don't let their grubby mitts on the expensive remote ;)

9. surfnode macrumors member

surfnode

already configured my main tv remote control to control the apple tv - gets around the 'loosing it' issue. As the wife usually "looses it" as in gets mad when I loose the remote lol

10. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

I feel your pain. Mine is projected to be lost in a few days...that's why we can't have anything nice

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have no idea. I've got at least two of the shiny silver ATV3 remotes hiding around here.

Dear Apple: At some point you need to make some sort of "Find My Remote" feature. Basically what I do on the Apple Watch when I can't figure out where my phone is. Hit a button on another iOS device (Watch, iPhone, iPad) and the remote paired with that ATV starts beeping.

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

Fortunately for me I'm the only one who uses my Apple TV along with my TV, Sky Box ( TV ), A/V receiver, and games consoles so there is no risk of any of the remotes or controllers going missing or getting lost.

13. Kro26 macrumors newbie

I don't know if this has been suggested, but I taped a Tile to my remote. They're $25 and you can have it play a noise from your phone or watch