Ideal Dual-Link DVI Monitors for PowerMac G5 Late 2005? (Quad and Dual-Core)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jubadub, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Jubadub macrumors member

Jubadub

Other than the 2010 Apple Cinema HD Display monitor, does anyone know what other dual-link DVI-D monitors could work well with a Late 2005 PowerMac G5? I already have a few dual-link GPUs, I already have a proper dual-link DVI cable, but no monitors that support it (2560 × 1600 resolution).

I ask for advice here in an attempt to avoid buying some dual-link DVI-D monitor that, for some reason, may not work well with the G5. Although a list of dual-link DVI-D monitors as a whole would also be appreciated, to know which monitors I should be looking into.

They can be LCD, Plasma, LED, OLED, it doesn't matter to me (the Apple one was LCD, incidentally). As long as they work and have an actual Dual-Link DVI-D connector, I don't mind. But no HDMI/VGA-only suggestions, please. No HDMI-to-DVI adapter can keep up with the dual-link DVI resolution and frame rate capabilities (AFAIK, and from personal experience).

For the record, in case anyone wonders, there are no GPUs with HDMI connectors for any pre-Intel Mac. Even when taking flashed GPUs into account.

2. Project Alice, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019

Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

DVI and HDMI are literally the same thing... HDMI is actually faster at the later standards. HDMI 1.4 is equal if not higher bandwidth than dual-link DVI. The problem is HDMI uses a single link even at the newer standards.
    DVI>HDMI adapters are passive and all single-link.

The only adapters that I can find that adapt to Duallink DVI, are displayport.
    Most modern monitors out there have HDMI and probably displayport. If I were you I would go the displayport route vs trying to find a (probably) antiquated and expensive monitor with DVI dual link.

3. Jubadub thread starter macrumors member

Jubadub

Oh, so the reason HDMI conversions aren't as good is that they're single-link even at newer standards, I see. That's interesting to know. I always knew HDMI doesn't work out, but never knew why.

By the way, I know HDMI and DVI are "the same thing" (digital signal), although DVI can also optionally transmit analog signals, the connectors are different and, as you explained, HDMI is only single-link. Hence I worded my request the way I did.

But, DisplayPort and Dual-Link-DVI-to-DisplayPort converters, huh? That sounds like a far better idea, indeed, if they indeed support dual-link. Thanks for the heads up! I'll start looking and comparing. (Though if anyone did real-world tests, I'd love to know.)

4. Amethyst1 macrumors 6502

Amethyst1

27" 2560×1440 or 30" 2560×1600 monitors used to have dual-link DVI connections until a few years ago but have since dropped that in favour of DisplayPort. You could go for one of these cheap Korean 27" or 30" monitors that started appearing in 2012 or so - many of them have just one dual-link DVI.

You need an Atlona DP-400 converter to go from DL-DVI to DP. I have successfully used one of these to drive my Dell P2415Q 3840×2160 monitor at 30 Hz (didn't try going for a higher refresh), which, incidentally, requires roughly the same pixel clock as 2560×1600 at 60 Hz.

Dual-link DVI can also do 3840×2400 at 31 Hz, if you happen to have the latest revision of the legendary IBM Bertha supermonitor.

Any dual-link monitor should work with a dual-link GPU, I don't see why there'd be any incompatibilities.

5. Jubadub, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019

Jubadub thread starter macrumors member

Jubadub

Thank you for the great recommendations! Although, yikes, as expected, it seems that adapter is a bit pricey to get these days, but I'll be on the lookout for one! It's good to have a 16:9 option, too...

And wow, 3840×2160, that must be a sight to behold. Although at 30 Hz, I think I'd prefer 2560×1600 at 60 Hz. But sounds like something cool to have access to as an option!

Alright, at this point, I'd better start saving up a bit...

EDIT: Would this adapter here supposedly do the trick just as well? https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-DVI-Adapter-Dual-Link/dp/B00A493CNY
    EDIT 2: Apparently not... Only takes DisplayPort as a source, with the intent of using it on an old dual-link DVI monitor, according to 1 reviewer. Seems to be the case for most other such adapters, too. Looks like I'll have to save up for the Atlona adapter, afterall.

6. Amethyst1 macrumors 6502

Amethyst1

Look out for used DP-400s, e.g. on eBay. I paid like $10 for mine, including shipping.

As you say, the StarTech thing converts DP to DL-DVI and is no good for what you want. I'm only aware of the DP-400 to go from DL-DVI to DP (and stay clear of the DP-200 as that's single-link!).

7. Jubadub thread starter macrumors member

Jubadub

:eek::eek::eek:

Will do.

8. Amethyst1 macrumors 6502

Amethyst1

@Jubadub:

I no longer have my DP-400, otherwise I'd have been happy to let you have it for the cost of shipping it to you.

Are you in the market for a new monitor or would a used one also be fine? Either way, a 27" 2560×1440 one is going to be much cheaper than a 30" 2560×1600 one as the 30" panels have never seen substantial price cuts. And while I'm all for the additional vertical screen estate that 16:10 provides over 16:9, I have noticed that, at this resolution, the difference is not nearly as significant as at lower resolutions.

9. philgxxd macrumors regular

philgxxd

Are there drawbacks with HDCP and using Digital connections with PowerPC and old/new monitors through converters?

10. Jubadub thread starter macrumors member

Jubadub

Whoa, I still appreciate the gesture. That's very kind of you!

I also like the idea of having extra height with a 16:10 monitor, but I'm actually fine with 16:9, too. And a used monitor is more than fine by me. In fact, I'm going for used ones (provided the screen itself is in good shape), because they are cheaper, meaning they are more viable for me to buy or finance.

11. reukiodo macrumors regular

reukiodo

Do not forget to check local surplus. I found a near mint condition 30" Cinema HD Display for $50 with it's power brick included at a local PC surplus shop a few months ago. I am pretty sure they didn't know the value of this.