Ideal Partition size for Vista Business

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TenFour, Mar 17, 2008.

1. TenFour macrumors member

I'm about to install Windows Vista Business on a mac pro 2.8 Octo, what is the ideal size for the Vista partition? Vista says it needs at least 6 gigs, is the minimum O.K., or will it run better if I give it a larger partition. The default is 32 gigs, is there any reason to devote that much HD space to Vista?

Thanks

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I wouldn't normally go below 10GB but you can use whatever size you are happy with. Kind of depends what (if anything) you need to store on it.

3. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

There is no ideal size. The ideal size is the amount of HDD that you'll need for your programs and files. Since nobody uses the same programs and files, you'll have to to make the decision your self.

P.S. The minimum is pretty much the bare minimum that is needed for the OS. You will have some problems installing pretty much any program of decent size.

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I wouldnt go below 20gbs, 23gbs is the sweet spot for me with a few large adobe apps. I dont put any games on it at all, I keep games on another larger partition that is used for regular data like mp3's and videos and art files (programs do NOT have to be installed in the program files folder, they can be installed anywhere you want). Right now I have 3.51gbs left, which is enough for defragging and other stuff that might need a lot of temporary space.

You need to have enough freespace for disk defragging, which requires a certain percentage of freespace based on how much space is used. Also the system recovery thing takes up a few gbs, which you can either leave on or turn off which frees up considerable space.

5. pazreal macrumors regular

Since I only needed to run one small app (test taking software) I went with 10GB and that was fine except when temp files would occasionally trigger space warnings. If you are doing anything beyond just running the OS I'd go with more (like 20gb or so)

6. TenFour thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies. That's pretty much the way I figured it.