Ideal resolution for iPad game

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Anne256, May 3, 2015.

1. Anne256 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Currently, I'm working on an iPad game. I would like to ask you what is the resolution requirement for an iPad game? Should I use (2048x1536) or (1024x768)? Will Apple reject my game app if I choose 1024x768?

I also would like to make my game compatible with iPhone. Should I make 2 separate apps (iPad and iPhone) or an universal app?

Thank you so much for your help.

2. impossiballs macrumors newbie

impossiballs

The general answer is "it depends on your game"

However if you are trying to make a profit out of this, then you should probably support all of them (ipad and iphone) to maximize the audience you reach.

Apple will not reject your game, however if you go for the smallest resolution your graphics will probably don't look so good in the ipad retina. The same applies for the iphone.

Regarding the separate versions of iphone/ipad you should think it over thoroughly before you decice to go with separate versions. That is because separate versions are like separate apps, and you will have twice as hassle in promoting both of them e.g. imagine the case where your ipad version is receiving some attention but your iphone version is lost in the million of apps in the app store. On the other hand if you implement the next global hit, it will probably don' t matter

The above come from my personal experience after published my first game in the app store (I did support all resolutions for both iphone and ipad as a universal app) and I do not claim to be an expert on the field. I would like very much myself to hear what others have to say about this.

3. Anne256 thread starter macrumors newbie

What resolution did you choose for your game? Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

4. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

On our platform, we tell users to create their game assets in the highest res possible.
    So start in Retina (2048x1536). It's easy to scale down, not so easy to scale up at a later date.

Also, a lot of tools handle standard resolution stuff for you if you work purely in HD/Retina.

5. stera8 macrumors member

good point, I need to change over.

to the OP, my iPad apps are 1024x768 but as stated above, VPrime makes a good point. I also have a game where it is universal. I was nervous at first developing it but the auto layout wasn't too bad after watching some YouTube videos. Go universal