Ideal screen size for new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shanekarpi251, Mar 21, 2012.

?

Ideal screen size for new iPhone

Poll closed Oct 27, 2012.
  1. 3.5 inches

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. 3.7 inches

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. 4 inches

32 vote(s)
    41.0%
  4. 4.3 inches

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. 4.7 or more inches

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

This seems to be a debatable topic around here and I was wondering what most of you would vote to be the "ideal" size of the next iPhone? For me it would be 4 or 4.3 inches but nothing bigger because I can still grip my phone 4 inch android just fine.

2. k3roro macrumors 6502

Interesting to see if anybody that works at Apple would forward the result of the thread to people in designs.

3. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Aside from the routine bumps in existing specs, there are only a few things I'd like to see in the next iphone.

4 inch screen (probably won't happen)
    LTE (will happen for sure)
    an LED light under the front glass for notifications (probably will never happen)
    And finally, an option for the swype keyboard (I say doubtful)

Just my 2 cents.

4. Duckit macrumors regular

Duckit

Wirelessly posted

I would want a screen size of 4 inches at least. 4.3 inches would be ideal.

5. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Going by other poll's and other forums, it seems the majority online want at least 4-4.3" . I know I would in that range, like I've said before, if Samsung gave my GSII a 4.3" screen in a case/footprint that's barely larger then my iphone 4/4S then Apple can do the same, it just makes browsing and emailing etc so much better. I think they'll come in at 4" but then again this is Apple we're talking about, they may stick with 3.5" lol.

6. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I would like a 4" screen, then again I am still happy with my 3.5" screen.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the current screen size is perfect. One thing this size gives you, is easy one handed operation. Larger phones are more difficult to use the phone with one hand.

I'm happy with what it is now :)

8. BamaATL macrumors member

Same for me. Perfect size as it is now. Much larger wouldn't fit in my pocket as well.

9. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I love the size the device is now so i'm going to go with 3.5/3.7".

I have no need at all for a bigger screen on my iPhone.

10. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I like the current size.

IMO, if Apple increase the size they might actually sell less phones,

The beauty of the iPhone is that it's a unisex phone, women can easily use it too. Now imagine a woman trying to use use a 4.7" phone with one hand. She won't... unless she is amazonian.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I owned a Droid X and the larger screen did not give me any appreciable increase in viewing quality but the size made it more ungainly in my pocket and hand.

12. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I like the smaller screens (3.7 would be great for me) anything that will stretch my pocket when its in there just doesn't sound too enjoyable for me.

with that said, I think 4" would be acceptable as well

13. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

My iPhone 4 still feels big compared to the phones before my 3G. I don't want the phone to get any bigger, and would like it to shrink a bit. While I would like a bigger screen, the size of the device is more important. I voted for 3.7 as that could fit on a device the same size as now, or even smaller, if the bezel was reduced.

14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

as long as the overall size doesn't grow, i'm fine with an increase in screen size, but it isn't a huge draw for me. i'd be more excited to see lte (assuming it can be done with the same size constraint).

15. ap3604, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  16. solo118 macrumors 65816

I'd like something slightly larger. 3.7, or 3.8 inch

They won't do anything bigger, it would not be perfect in Apple's eyes. They rather have their product look sleek and low key rather than a huge screen and light up buttons etc.

17. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

The current size of 3.5" is fine for me, and I definitely wouldn't want a phone with a screen size above 4" at the moment.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I think a lot of people look that they want more real estate for their screen, but completely forget that this is supposed to be a phone.
    I understand the desire to see more, but that detracts from its general purpose in a sense.
    Its like people want a small tablet, instead of having a phone with a computer built in. :)

If I need anything bigger than a 4inch screen, I'll get a tablet.
    Can you see people using the iPad as a phone, putting it up to their ear as they walk down the road? lol

20. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

No matter what the next screen size is in the next iPhone, people will constantly B***H. I'd like to see it 4.3" and no larger. Of course I will get slammed for wanting it at 4.3" just as the guy who wants it to stay at 3.5".

21. drkryn macrumors member

How is wanting a 4" screen completely forgetting the fact that it is supposed to be a phone? Nobody is asking for 6 or 7" screens. Trying to make the comparison of a 4 or even 4.3" phone to the size of a tablet is absurd.

22. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I'm so tired of this 3.5" screen. I wish to God the next iPhone were coming this summer and not this fall, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

I'd probably be fine with a 4" retina display. I think if we see a screen size bump, it won't be more than that.

----------

You were also looking at a less sharp screen compared to the iPhone. Screen size means nothing if the ppi is crap.

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I love the compact design of my iPhone 4, I simply HATE the massive phone designs, I also love the fact that due to it's 3.5" size that retina screen IMO is the best looking of any mobile device and I fear what difference it would make if Apple made a 4" screen reducing the PPI.
    But then a lil extra space would be useful also however, so I voted for 3.7" but ONLY if the phone is the same height and width as the iPhone 4 and has the same PPI.
    If not forget it and keep the wonderful 3.5" screen thanks!

I would also add this, as much as people complain and moan about the iPhones screen size, as much as you drool over the sizes offered on it's competitors devices, just remember exactly how many iPhones Apple sells with that lovely 3.5" screen!! Then ask yourself what chance their is of Apple changing the screen size?