Ideal smcfancontrol RPM for XP (MBP Early '08)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sfzMacBookPro, Jan 18, 2009.

1. sfzMacBookPro macrumors newbie

So, this is my first post and my first Apple computer. I noticed that my MacBook Pro (Early '08 model, 15.4", 2.4ghz, 256mb GeForce 8600M GT) would get VERY hot running Windows XP under Bootcamp. A cursory search of the forums showed that this was fairly common for what I understand as these reasons (if there are more, please elaborate):

1. Video card drivers included with MBP for use in Windows under bootcamp are not updated. So, I updated mine with these updated GeForce drivers from Nvidia

2. Windows XP cannot control the fan speeds and the fans do not speed up as necessary as the computer gets hotter.

For #2, I took the advice of the forum and downloaded smcfancontrol. After just downloading it a couple minutes ago and turning the fans up from 2000 RPM to 3000-4000 RPM, I saw and felt the temperature difference.

Question is, for some light MS office work, internet surfing and Civilization 4 gaming on the Windows XP partition, what fan speed should I set before restarting? What's the upper range of comfort for temperature for these things?

Also, it didn't look like it from my search, but has anyone found a way to change fan speeds while booted IN Windows XP? Thanks!

~Scott

2. wallieballie macrumors newbie

Running at 2514 (leftside) and 2810 (rightside).
    My fans are increasing in speed, when necessary.

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Wow, way to F up an MBP! If Windows cannot adjust the fans properly then there is your answer: its dangerous to run Windows. The reason the fans have a maximum speed is because sometimes its necessary, especially on an OS which runs hotter than OS X.

4. sfzMacBookPro thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, honestly, the only reason I felt comfortable switching to Mac was because there was the option to run Windows, which as bad as it is, is still the preferred platform for games and certain professions (finance). And this is exactly what Apple Inc intended when they made BootCamp a full offering that they even advertise for people like me.

So, I kinda place the onus on Apple for this.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Would just set the fans at 4000rpm, and use it.

Heat really doesnt affect a MacBook Pro, my early '08 is fine running at 90C Plus.

6. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I set mine to 8000rpm before I go into Windows, just because I like to overclock my graphics card to 580/850/1300MHz.

7. sfzMacBookPro thread starter macrumors newbie

8. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I'd say if any of the temperatures get up to 200°F or 90°C, that would be too hot.