Ideal Timing for current model 13" Purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MisterSensitive, Apr 20, 2012.

  1. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    #1
    Background: There are certain features about the current 13" MBP that I covet and are rumored to be gone in the new redesign (ability to put second hard drive into the rumored-to-be-gone optical drive, and a FW port [haven't seen any T'bolt<->FW interfaces that aren't clunky]).

    So, absent the new redesign incorporating these features, I want to buy what is the current 13" MBP w i7 chip and then trick it out (16G RAM, 128SSD + 750 HD) so it'll be my tiny, powerful digital audio workstation.

    What is the current thinking among Apple afficianados? Should I:

    1) Wait for the new 15" to be released and infer what the 13" will and won't have, then decide on old/new 13"?

    2) Buy a current 13" now before stocks deplete in anticipation of new 13" rollout?

    3) Wait for the redesigned 13"s to come out, then snag what is now current 13" as prices drop?

    Thanks in advance for your advice!
     
  2. iforbes macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    #2
    Wait a few weeks. Make sure the new models do not meet you needs then look at the refurb section at the apple store for late 2011's if that is the direction you choose to go.
     
  3. Blues003 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    #3
    I wouldn't pull the trigger immedeatly. I'd at least wait for the 15" MBP.

    If you can infer anything, and it pleases you: get the 13" MBP 2012 once it comes out.

    If you can infer anything, and it doesn't please you: wait for the 13" MBP 2012 to come out, so you can get the 2011 model at a lower price.

    If you can't infer anything at all: wait for the 13" MBP 2012, see if it has what you want, and then buy either that or the 2011 model, depending on what it brings.
     
  4. MisterSensitive thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    #4
    Thanks, guys!

    I'm assuming from your advice that you recommend I not worry about the supply of current MBPs dwindling in advance of the replacement's availability?
     
  5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    #5
    The day the new ones are announced the old ones don't simply disappear; stores still have the older ones in stock. You may not be able to get a MTO, but that doesn't sound like a problem for you. And the price might drop some. Check other vendors like expercom.com, smalldog.com, macmall.com, etc right after they announce the new ones, and also the Apple refurb store.

    Rob
     
  6. MisterSensitive thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    #6
    Super helpful, Rob, and extra bonus thanks for those sites!

    You're correct, I'd rather get a stock model and make upgrades myself, so no worries about MTO.
     

Share This Page