Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Hi,

as my current 2560x1600 display slowly disintegrates, I'm thinking of replacing my 2012 Mini with a 2018 Mini, sometime towards April (making it six years since I bought it).

Ideally, I'd buy a VESA-mountable 4k display (not totally convinced by the LG 5K display, due to mixed reviews) with very thin bezels that allows me have a seamless dual monitor (or even triple monitor) setup. Though I'm not sure I'm going to spend 3x the price of an Eizo 3285...

Any ideas?

I will watch youtube and some TV series on it, but overall it's just surfing, coding, shell and displaying a remote Windows Terminal Server session.

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
If you are considering the LG 5k, then around at that price point you could take a look at the LG 32UL950.

It's 4k, 32", with Thunderbolt 3 plus the usual other inputs. It works well with TB3 Macs.

It has pretty thin bezels, which are uniform all around (good for portrait-mode rotation), with no room for a logo, even. Still, they are not thin enough for a truly "seamless" multiple-monitor setup - I'm not sure anything is. It has VESA mount capability plus an adjustable stand.

It uses quantum dot technology (which LG calls a "nano display") and has excellent and vivid color (DCI-P3 98%).

Downsides: the speakers are poor and the HDR's "local dimming" is not worth using (should be turned off in my opinion) since it has a pathetic number of zones (an XDR display it is not).

Mac-OS on a 32" 4k display looks good enough, especially for aging eyes due to its size, but naturally it won't be as crisp as the retina 5k. I'd choose this over the retina one if you wanted the flexibility to use it with PC's, or really wanted the extra screen size.

Last edited:

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Thanks.
I still have time and will consider your thoughts.
When I have a new Mac, I will likely get rid of all my PCs (they are very old and basically useless with any modern display made in the last few years). They just waste space at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.