Ideas for 5.1 speakers for MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dan.123, May 23, 2010.

1. Dan.123 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Need some ideas for some good 5.1 speakers. :confused: First of all, I'm not sure how to connect a set of 5.1 to a macbook as it only has a 3.5mm input. Is it something like a toslink adaptor? :confused: How would I go about this and what speakers would you recommend? :D

Also i'd like to be able to plug them into my xbox 360 elite which is connected to my LG M23W7D monitor.

how do i do this with say something like this? :eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Mu...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274621943&sr=8-2

thanks peoples, :D.

Dan.123. :apple:

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

the headphone jack also has optical in it, you can use an adapter (like this) to go on the end of a regular toslink cable. or you can get a cable that has the correct end on it.

sorry, no speaker recommendations though

3. paa627 macrumors newbie

i was looking at the same set up that you mentioned, but i decided to go with these:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-overview/

i know it is not a 5.1 set up, but the sound quality at both low and high volumes is superior. and if you look around you can find better prices.

by this do you mean you want your speakers connected to your computer and your monitor?

if so, and your monitor has headphone output, then all you need is a 3.5mm audio in to audio in cable because these speakers have an additional port to enable 2 devices to be connected to it.

4. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Don't worry. I have a set of Logitech Z5300e speakers which has front, rear and center plugs. I plugged in the front (green plug) into my headphone jack thinking 2 speakers will have to do but to my pleasant surprise all 5 speakers worked and the sub works as well.

Fully functional and all I needed to do was plug in the front speaker plug to my MacBook Pro. :D