Ideas for a complete setup around Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mylespe, Mar 21, 2013.

1. mylespe macrumors newbie

Hi,

We are in the process of rebuilding our home including a kitchen/dining/second lounge area.

The main tv (sky+, surround sound etc) will be in a separate room, but i want to come up with a setup which is easy to use and allows us to do the usual (listen to music via itunes and spotify app, stream Iplayer etc, watch itunes content, watch freeview via the tv itself)

I am thinking of hardware along these lines

32 Inch TV
    AV Receiver
    Logitech Harmony One
    Ipad
    Imac G5 (currently running 10.4.11, PowerPc) 'always on' with Itunes library.
    Apple TV
    Floorstanding speakers - inside and outside

Basically the three questions are

a) what 'hardwiring' would you all recommend - will streaming everything over the WiFi network be OK or should i run an ethernet to the Apple TV from the router?

b) Will the old G5 be OK to use as the basis of the itunes library if i upgrade to Leopard? How do i ensure the G5 is always accessible for instant streaming

c) are there any av receivers which can be woken up by apple tv to eliminate the need for using anything to switch the system on other than the ipad?

anything i am missing?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Cool plan.

Couple of things - I do recommend hard wiring. It just makes for a more stable environment. You can run a single wire out to your home theatre and use a switch to plug in all the devices; that way you don't have a handful of wires coming out there. I use a Trendnet unmanaged switch (unmanaged = router handles DHCP addressing) and it is very fast - just make sure its gigabit.

And yes, a G5 would work fine for streaming. It's just transferring the files; not converting them first. You can set the energy settings to wake on lan and sleep the drives; then upon request the computer will wake up and start sending the data.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

I have a Denon AVR-1912 (think it's been replaced now) it's airplay compatible. there are others available from several manufacturers.

It will power on if you airplay to it.
    which is good if you just want music. If you're planning on watching the aTV, you'll have the remote out and can turn everything on that way.
    It's also got a (pretty basic) web interface.

another upside to this, is that music and video are separate sources. I like my music in plain stereo, without the simulated surround. With this setup, music in stereo is played in stereo, and videos on the aTV that are only in stereo are played in Dolby Pro Logic, so it creates the center channel and surrounds.

--
    the aTV does not support CEC, but it does turn its HDMI port on and off when it sleeps though. If you can find a receiver that will power up when an HDMI port starts receiving signal that would work.

*CEC is control over HDMI-- when i put a bluray in, and hit play, the receiver and TV power on to the correct input, and i can use the TV remote for basic control of the blu-ray player
    or if i switch the TV to its built-in tuner, the receiver goes to the correct input.

4. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Hardwire whatever you can that doesn't result in having to run wires down the hall or between floors. The wifi should be fine, but may be subject to interruptions or interferance. Hard wired will yield more reliable streaming of both audio and video.

The G5 should do fine for streaming content, both audio and video. Will you be using it for other tasks or will it just be a media server? If you can find a cheap Intel Mac mini that's in good condition, that may be even better as it will be smaller and probably draw less power.

Sorry, I'm not up to speed on receivers with AirPlay built in, but if you have an AppleTV connected then you don't necessarily even need AirPlay built in to the receiver. I leave my receiver on all the time so that I can AirPlay music to the living room stereo without having to get up and turn on the stereo.