Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I don't understand why it will stop working after some time.
If you're replacing the logic board, which has the faulty chip, why would it fail again by having a completely new logic board?

Same board, same chip, same solder, worse still old boards heated up until the dGPU functions again, which is simply BS. I work in the energy industry and we determined that refurbished boards are 7-10 more likely to failure, I am talking about boards that cost 10`s K USD, produced in low volume with Mil Spec components, and re-worked by highly qualified technicians. Not a mass produced consumer product, heated up by with a heat gun till it passes a minimal function test, Apple is just screwing you right now if your 2011 MBP fails due to dGPU.

Apple`s refurbished Logic Board`s are notoriously known to fail prematurely, hence the very limited warrantee of 90 days. If the boards had new GPU`s you would expect a couple of years use, not a couple of months. My advice is stay clear of MBP`s with dGPU. Hence Class action pending, equally no doubt same as the 8600GT fiasco Apple will only offer to extend the warranty on the afflicted MBP`s offering same poor quality Logic Boards or worse refurbished garbage...

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I never said to completely omit that a reball was done. I'd personally mention that this was done to fix GPU-related issues, just so the buyer gets a feel for its history. But, I wouldn't go off scaring people away from buying it. Who knows, the GPU problem could be magnified by end user habits that ordinarily wouldn't be a problem for the buyer. My point is, we don't entirely know for sure that every 2011 MBP model is affected or if a reball won't be enough.

Let`s be straight the 2011 15" MBP is a potential doorstop, if used hard, no matter what is done to it. Ask yourself this would you buy one, knowing what you know, me thinks not...

I dumped my 2011 MBP and passed it to my daughter for school work & games. Apple`s hardware is not special, nor top end, if I could get OS X to run reliably on a high end portable PC Workstation I would. This mess with the 15", 2011 dGPU should have been captured in trials, not in the public domain, as ever those that can least afford suffer the most...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.