Ideas for backing up iPhone before installing iOS 5 GM?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I'm wanting to know how I should go about backing up my wife's iPad 2 before I install iOS 5 GM? The reason I ask is that I recently did a clean install of my iMac and this would be the first time I've plugged/synced it since the clean install, so iTunes want's to erase and delete everything.

I've got PhoneView so I can manually backup her photos and books. However the applications are being a little tricky. I don't see a way to get a copy/backup her applications.

I'm going to be in the same situation on her iPad 2 also so I want to address this. I don't have to worry about her Contacts and email because we use MobileMe for syncing those.

Ideas?

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I wouldn't restore from a backup when moving from X.0 to Y.0 (i.e. 4.X->5.X).

I would perform a sync to backup your phone, then sync it again after you update your phone. Anything that didn't transfer will require some user manual restoration - but I would rather have a clean iOS installation that way.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

When the iPhone is plugged in and I hit sync, it says that it was synced with another iTunes library and says it will "delete & sync" or "cancel". I don't see any other way.

4. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe I didn't explain it enough.

Forget about me installing iOS 5 GM. Is there a way to backup an iPhone after a clean install of Lion? It's basically seeing the iPhone as never being seen on this computer since it's a fresh clean install, so it wants to erase and sync.

5. TechEnthu macrumors newbie

Why not just restore the library?

Do you have any backup from your old system? I'd just pull the iTunes Music folder from there, and put back into your new Lion's music folder. Then choose that old library brought back. Done.

You don't have to bring the entire music data, just the iTunes Library information.

6. aadams1278 macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar situation. I want to make a manual backup of my iphone 4 prior to updating to ios 5 just in case it makes it run slower or something and i don't like it, i'll have the option to revert to ios 4 like it is currently (and satisfying me).

I have looked all around apple's support site and it appears to me that the only way to make itunes retain a backup and not overwrite it with every sync, is to use that backup to restore the phone.

If i'm reading that right, that means if I backup today, and then immediately restore, it will retain that backup in itunes memory and I can revert back to it if i don't like something about ios 5.

The issue here, is I have done a restore in the past a LONG time ago, and I remember I lost a lot of settings like ringtone selection, screen brightness setting, saved game progress in my apps, etc. I don't remember if that was when I did a full factory restore or if it was the restore from backup (i've done both).

Two questions here...
    Does anyone know of ANY way to retain a particular backup in itunes for future use (Preferences --> Devices)
    and/or Can anyone confirm that if I do the Backup-immediate restore process, that NOTHING will change on my phone? all notes, settings, app saved data, etc will remain unchanged?

(ps, my backup is encrypted already if that matters and yes i know the password)

7. jihan macrumors newbie

@Imola Ghost did u authorize your mac after the clean install?? if u did then the only way i kno is to plug in the ipad and when it comes up in itunes on the top click file and then "Transfer Purchases from "...'s iPad". Other then this i dont kno any other way..

hope this helps :)