Ideas for Balcony/Patio Privacy...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I just moved into some new apartments and am on the bottom floor. The last apartment I was in I had a balcony and was on the second floor. I guess because I was high up I didn't feel so "vulnerable" before but now I just feel so exposed. Since it's a patio, One part of it is "opened up" so people can just walk right on to it... So is there a swinging add-on I could install (or something to that extent)... Also, is there some kind of privacy "mesh" or net or something that I can install to "blur" the view on to my balcony? I have seen a couple of times people hang bamboo blinds but it looks really terrible. Thanks for your help.

PS: Yes, I like my quotes. :D

-Dale

Attached Files:

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you should check to see what your lease & landlord allows.

I use plants, bamboo in my case, to create a "screen" in the sight-line between my balcony and my neighbors. It's not perfect but it certain creates a sense of separation between me and them.

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Hmmm... I never thought about plants... I'm going to look for an alternate before going that route though. Any ideas about closing off the open area of my patio? Thanks again.

Anybody else have any ideas?

-Dale

4. jr24 macrumors regular

bamboo is great. exterior porch shades like the ones here would work, as well.

as far as the opening, hmm. maybe just putting up a baby gate or something, since you're renting - i don't know how much renovation type stuff you can do.

5. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I don't know how much I'm allowed to do either. But I do know that I already mounted my TV's and may paint too, lol. And although it might sound disrespectful to the landlord, I don't care that we are not allowed to paint because I will most definitely paint it back when I decide to move. Thanks for your help! I really like some of those :)

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do about that opening... I care about that more than anything.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Do a search for child or pet gates and you will find some options. The problem is going to be making it work for your situation as those are usally made to work in door frames or be free standing. Best of luck.

7. Roric macrumors regular

Check for an animal gate. Even though they look identical and really are except the name, dog gates are cheaper than baby gates.

You should be able to get one to span that opening. Look for the extra wide ones. You can get ones that you would need to remove/step over or you can get ones with a swinging door.

8. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I'm just thinking that will look really tacky... and like someone said they are most likely not going to be able to handle outdoor weather. Maybe I can build something?

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

dont laugh

but sheer curtains

get the waterproof kind

hang them off tension wire

10. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

so why don't you just build an extension of the railing in the picture? Make it return to the wall to fill the empty space and put a gate in it?

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

13. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

14. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

You could get some little pots or something with conifers in perhaps.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You can also bring them inside, every night. ;)