Ideas for Balcony/Patio Privacy...

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
I just moved into some new apartments and am on the bottom floor. The last apartment I was in I had a balcony and was on the second floor. I guess because I was high up I didn't feel so "vulnerable" before but now I just feel so exposed. Since it's a patio, One part of it is "opened up" so people can just walk right on to it... So is there a swinging add-on I could install (or something to that extent)... Also, is there some kind of privacy "mesh" or net or something that I can install to "blur" the view on to my balcony? I have seen a couple of times people hang bamboo blinds but it looks really terrible. Thanks for your help.

PS: Yes, I like my quotes. :D

-Dale

Attachments

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
you should check to see what your lease & landlord allows.

I use plants, bamboo in my case, to create a "screen" in the sight-line between my balcony and my neighbors. It's not perfect but it certain creates a sense of separation between me and them.

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
Hmmm... I never thought about plants... I'm going to look for an alternate before going that route though. Any ideas about closing off the open area of my patio? Thanks again.

Anybody else have any ideas?

-Dale

jr24

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
usa
bamboo is great. exterior porch shades like the ones here would work, as well.

as far as the opening, hmm. maybe just putting up a baby gate or something, since you're renting - i don't know how much renovation type stuff you can do.

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
bamboo is great. exterior porch shades like the ones here would work, as well.

as far as the opening, hmm. maybe just putting up a baby gate or something, since you're renting - i don't know how much renovation type stuff you can do.
I don't know how much I'm allowed to do either. But I do know that I already mounted my TV's and may paint too, lol. And although it might sound disrespectful to the landlord, I don't care that we are not allowed to paint because I will most definitely paint it back when I decide to move. Thanks for your help! I really like some of those :)

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do about that opening... I care about that more than anything.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do a search for child or pet gates and you will find some options. The problem is going to be making it work for your situation as those are usally made to work in door frames or be free standing. Best of luck.

Roric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2005
WI
Check for an animal gate. Even though they look identical and really are except the name, dog gates are cheaper than baby gates.

You should be able to get one to span that opening. Look for the extra wide ones. You can get ones that you would need to remove/step over or you can get ones with a swinging door.

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
I'm just thinking that will look really tacky... and like someone said they are most likely not going to be able to handle outdoor weather. Maybe I can build something?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
so why don't you just build an extension of the railing in the picture? Make it return to the wall to fill the empty space and put a gate in it?

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
You could get some little pots or something with conifers in perhaps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.