Ideas for future iPhone OS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by travistaylor, Jun 30, 2009.

1. travistaylor macrumors regular

I thought it would be neat to hear ideas that everyone had for future iPhone OSs. I was thinking today about how amazing it would be if the dock could contain stacks. They would work exactly like Stacks in OS X, and would be very handy. You could contain up to four or five items in the stack, and would be sweet for Games, Web Links, etc...

I decided to waste a bit of time and make a mock-up of what it could look like posted below. It would be even cooler if you could pull it off with a landscape home screen complete with a leopard-esque dock with stacks.

What do you guys think? Obviously the mock-up took all of about 10 seconds to do. I would like it if the titles were under the icons, but I just didn't feel like adding them... Of course I would also go back and center the stack fan over the icon...haha, but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The jailbroken "stacks" looks and acts just like you'd expect it to from apple, its just not from them :p

3. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

4. travistaylor thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, never jailbroken my iPhone, or even looked into it. If they work well, I suggest we all tell Apple to hire the guy who made them work!

5. celticpride678

I would go for stacks and a better home screen design.

6. travistaylor thread starter macrumors regular

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Eh, its not like its something apple hasn't thought up, I just guarentee its one of the aces Apple is holding onto to ensure future iphone and OS releases will still have people clamoring.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Maybe more of a ATV / Safari 4 start page - Apple could do psedo 3D springboard for starters.

9. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I strongly believe that Apple has thought of this, it's just that, they can't release all of these amazing features at 1 time. They need to milk the iPhone as much as they can and keep people interested.

Right now everyone is happy about copy/paste, video recording, search, voice control and Apple knows this, so more features will come as time goes on.

10. oneschance macrumors member

i actually saw this over a year ago on my friends jail broken iPhone original version. it was very cool and could hold over 10 in the stack.

11. celticpride678

I think Apple needs to allow a home page for Safari

12. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Top sites for safari on the iphone would be nice.

13. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Spotlight

14. Acronym macrumors 68000

what if the dock could hold 10 or more apps you would simly have to "Scroll" from left to right to view the others say using a double finger scroll? a single finger scroll would act as it does now and do (nothing).

15. celticpride678

Yes, right. But it might be kinda interesting on how they implement it!

16. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

I agree but we have to keep things within reason. iPhone OS 2.0 was a HUGE update that was VERY needed for corporate adoption. Once they got that under their belts, they promptly went back to the whining consumers and iPhone OS 3.0 was also a HUGE update.

So now that they basically have all the good things taken care of we will start to see them doing things like redesigning springboard and the home screen with stacks or whatever they come up with for better app management and navigation.

We will also start to see them having fun and stride even further past all the competition with things like iChat video conferencing and other killer apps and features.

I am very excited for what is in store with iPhone 4G and beyond with a companion tablet and Apple TV updates etc. :D

P.S. I LOVE the new Apple remote app for Apple TV and I think that is a sign of the direction they are heading with things. :apple:

17. nlivo macrumors 6502a

i know exactly what you mean.

also touch in mac os x is going to go a long way, and the next appletv update is going to be big. but tey're different topics altogether.